Blocking guests from seeing the site before they join

mark-cupra

FR TFSI
Sep 11, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Hi,

I dont know if this has been covered before but would it be possible to make the whole forum or at least some of it like RR's private to registered members only?

I was just thinking that a guest could get a lot of information from a lot of different things on this forum for example could find out what area somebody lives in, what car they drive and how it looks etc

or am i just being over protective lol?

Apr 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Interesting idea, seen this done on a few other sites, blocking certain aspects of the forum. In regards to people finding out where folk live etc, if they want to find out then they will, 2 second job joining a forum.

mark-cupra

FR TFSI
Sep 11, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Suppose so i did think that after but its worth a thought as someone could search for something on google and ive noticed it comes up with threads from this site, which is useful if its a technical problem they want an answer to without having to join but to me the whole point of a forum is to join up and share experiences and get to know people, offer advice to each other and show the projects of your car

I've seen it done on another forum too where some of it is only available to view once you are a member

you could even maybe keep it blocked after they join until they have posted lets say 10 posts so it forces them to introduce themselves and not just come on to do bad

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
The key is don't write to much info if you don't want it spreading lol... Some people go the extent of hiding number plates whilst posting pics ?? Why.. We drive to asda and leave it there for people to see what's the difference on here, unless people got things to hide I.e modified cars undeclared etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
The key is don't write to much info if you don't want it spreading lol... Some people go the extent of hiding number plates whilst posting pics ?? Why.. We drive to asda and leave it there for people to see what's the difference on here, unless people got things to hide I.e modified cars undeclared etc

I think the number plate thing was down to cloning but your right to say they could get info in other ways.

Id agree that you should only post stuff up that you dont mind others knowing.

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
I'd be paranoid if I owned a Ferrari f40 or a Bugatti lmao but not a LCR which I can replace tomorrow

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I believe the forum and site are popular because they have been an open resource of information. Its 12 years old this summer and from this point of view its policy on who can view what on the forum hasn't altered much.

As for personal information, that is down to you what you share and what you don't.

We will always consider removing things from the forum, if requested to do so!

Unless of course its entertaining then maybe not. ;)

We already state that you should remove your registration plates from images posted here, and ask that you either seek permission to post images of other peoples cars/reg numbers etc before doing so.

However regarding everything else its really your prerogative how much you share or don't share on the forum. :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.