Misting car

RichyFR

Jun 29, 2016
Tetbury, Gloucestershire
I've got a pre-facelift MK2 FR which this year has caused me a lot of grief with all windows misting up. It doesn't matter what I put on them (rainX, autoglym polish, nothing) they still mist up by the end of the day and first thing in the morning (I've even got a dehumidifier thing in there).

Last night i got into my car and after 5 or so minutes all my windows had cleared and I was ready to go...

After driving for 20 minutes or so my entire windscreen steamed up within seconds and I was forced to pull over and wait for it to clear.

I don't recall having any issues last year and the only things I've changed this year is:
- Taken the clips off my wind deflectors because the glass kept catching
- Changed my pre facelift climate control for a facelift

I know I'm not alone... what have people done to resolve this issue? Is it a seal or could it be the change of climate control instrument?

brian1912

May 7, 2017
I've got a pre-facelift MK2 FR which this year has caused me a lot of grief with all windows misting up. It doesn't matter what I put on them (rainX, autoglym polish, nothing) they still mist up by the end of the day and first thing in the morning (I've even got a dehumidifier thing in there).

Last night i got into my car and after 5 or so minutes all my windows had cleared and I was ready to go...

After driving for 20 minutes or so my entire windscreen steamed up within seconds and I was forced to pull over and wait for it to clear.

I don't recall having any issues last year and the only things I've changed this year is:

- Taken the clips off my wind deflectors because the glass kept catching

- Changed my pre facelift climate control for a facelift

I know I'm not alone... what have people done to resolve this issue? Is it a seal or could it be the change of climate control instrument?

I always thought my Civic was bad but my copa is bad seems to take ages to clear I run with my a/c on all the time I’ve checked for water ingress can’t find anything could be I need to change the pollen filter or maybe as simple I’m going in the car wet or with wet feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian1912

May 7, 2017
Not a clue richy I’m putting mines to the damp wet weather here in Glasgow

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Is it more misty this time of year of has it been consistently steaming up? It's odd that you can clear it, and as you're driving it starts to mist up.

Is your air con fully functioning? Do you switch it on to help de-mist the windows more quickly?

When did it start happening? Is there any pattern to it, i.e are there times when it doesn't mist up at all?

RichyFR

Jun 29, 2016
Tetbury, Gloucestershire
I usually stick the controls on auto with AC on constantly.

Some times it will stay clear but yesterday and today it has misted up and I've had to put the blowers on the windscreen to clear it.

Perhaps I need to check the wiring behind the controls.

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
hmm yeah I don't know how long the AC gas lasts, but if you keep it on the entire time, that will obviously use more. How many miles do you roughly do in a year? It may be worth taking it somewhere where they can simply check its performance.

Could well be that it's low, it starts off fine and then loses puff, hence why your windows are suddenly steaming up.

brian1912

May 7, 2017
Going to sound daft but what’s the outside temp is it not the case also if it’s below a certain temp the A/c won’t kick on ?

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Going to sound daft but what’s the outside temp is it not the case also if it’s below a certain temp the A/c won’t kick on ?

True, I think if it's 5 degrees or less it won't switch on. I don't know if it will turn itself off if the temperature drops while the AC is on.

Darbo

May 24, 2015
Mine did this a lot last year, just randomly steaming up while I'm driving, realised yesterday though that it's been pretty good this winter, I read somewhere they were prone to it and like you my carpets are dry, no water ingress, it's definitely coming from blowers.
Maybe moisture building up in the system instead of draining.

RichyFR

Jun 29, 2016
Tetbury, Gloucestershire
Hi cupra_aaah,

I've not really had an issue with it up until this morning. I put it down to the fact I'd not used the car in a few days.

I've not had the aircon regassed - it's working fine whenever I test it (over 5c).

I did dry out the boot carpet, perhaps that had something to do with it? it got really wet when it snowed and all the wet stuff went in the boot.

GordieC

Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow/Islay
hmm yeah I don't know how long the AC gas lasts, but if you keep it on the entire time, that will obviously use more..

A healthy AC system doesn't consume gas. Gas is lost through leakage and if there is a leak present, you will lose it regardless of how much or how little you use the system. In fact, you are less likely to lose the gas by using it often as this ensures regular circulation of the oil in the system which prevents seals from drying out, leading to leakage.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Mine has done this the last few days, taking about 5 mins to clear this morning with A/C on full with the recirculation on as that helps. Our Ibiza is similar, not sure if it's the cause but neither have great seals along the lower door strips, you can tell the seal is poor as the sills great dirty quickly when driving in the rain.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Mine mists up like crazy, as did the previous pre-FL Cupra I had. If I clear it with the A/C then switch it off it just mists up again straight away.

andycupra

status subject to change
humidity.
cold air can hold less moisture, so as the temperature drops the relative humidity increases.
if you are getting misting up issues this is a natural occurrence, but it can vary car to car and you can influence it to an extent:

If there is anything wet in the car, this will cause issues, - so any water leak, wet carpets etc.
if you are wiping the screen with a cloth and leaving this in the car that wont help...

If you have the car nice and warm when you are driving, then it may well clear as the relative humidity drops. but when parked the air temp drops and the relative humidity increases...

So clear out anything wet, don't leave any wet rags in the car, that wet coat or wet umbrella, sort out any leaks, stop breathing... ;)
consider turning off the heater when you are near your destination and opening some windows to give it a blow out, hopefully this will reduce the humidity in the car which can help, - although ultimately it comes down to changes in temperature and humidity.

another approach is air circulation, to increase this, but its not an easy thing to do without leaving window open...

Last edited: