Fuel additives test in latest issue of Diesel Car ...

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
It's fairly unscientific but they test Millers against Unicat. Both gave very modest fuel savings (from memory about 1.5% more MPG with Millers, about 3% with Unicat).

In other words, they barely (if at all) cover the purchase cost .... but it wasn't a very scientific test, just 5 or 6 tankfuls with and without, then comparing the average consumption.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Millers does give other benefits too, such as a quieter & smoother engine.

I wouldn't trust their unscientific tests too much; the gradual drop in temperature over recent months will reduce economy for starters.

Haven't bought DC in ages...

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
was there something a ago about a millers product specially for PD engines, any word on it if it was true , use power plus myself

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I wonder which would be cheaper - using BP Ultimate all the time, or dosing up with Millers ?
As they both claim to give similar benefits.

(BTW, I only ever use BP Ultimate before a RR day in a desperate attempt to get an extra 0.5 bhp :D )

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
I've been using BP Ultimate for a few months now, and I had used Millers for a couple of months before that.

Neither product gives a noticeable improvement in MPG. That's not to say there's no improvement, just that it's drowned out by the natural variability in economy from one week to the next.

However, my engine is a bit quieter on Millers, and quieter still on Ultimate - especially when doing a cold start. I also notice an improvement in off-boost pull with both products, though it's more pronounced with Ultimate. This is particularly noticeable when pulling away from stationary before the turbo has spooled up, and it helps to smooth out the power delivery. The engine does seem generally a bit more willing on Ultimate, though it's a subtle imrovement rather than a "wow" factor.

Also noticeable is the reduction in smoke. On Ultimate I can hardly manage a puff of smoke for the tailgater behind at all.

My car is currently in need of refuelling, so I think I'm going to try a tank of untreated normal diesel for the sake of comparison. The last time I tried this, I couldn't stand it and ended up adding a shot of Millers. One thing I found was that the performance improvements happen immediately with diesel, unlike with a petrol engine that seems to need to "learn".

ccvrs

The new millars PD stuff comes out during January, the first to be made for the PD range.
The initial test results are good, quite a bit more centane. Would be better still if Shell would start selling the new 70 rated centane fuel over here but they can't produce it in the UK yet only available in Switzerland. Ours is only just over 50 rating.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Don't know, but it sounds interesting.
Anyone got any more info ? It couldn't see anything about it on the Millers site.

orangesprout

Cheeky !!
Apr 10, 2003
Dodge City, North East
Visit site
ccvrs said:
The new millars PD stuff comes out during January, the first to be made for the PD range.
The initial test results are good, quite a bit more centane. Would be better still if Shell would start selling the new 70 rated centane fuel over here but they can't produce it in the UK yet only available in Switzerland. Ours is only just over 50 rating.

In Germany 2 weeks ago saw Shell Power Diesel - whats that?

I use Shell Diesel Extra all the time with a dash of millers for good measure.

prc

Sooty Meister
orangesprout said:
In Germany 2 weeks ago saw Shell Power Diesel - whats that?

I use Shell Diesel Extra all the time with a dash of millers for good measure.

Probably the same!
Portugal was the 1st country to get BP ultimate (about 10 months before the UK).
Shell was bought out by Repsol, but we used to have Shell PowerDiesel as well.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.