The History of SCN

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Im quite interested to read about how SCN was formed, (ive seen somewhere that "shaggy" is the founder but you dont hear much from him), who's idea it was, how did Zboyd & Mork become involved etc and how did it develop into what it is today, is there any info on here.

Cant you tell im bored, but genuinely interested.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
i thought it was an off shoot from the Village people fan club bulletin boards of the mid 90's. Both Mork and Zboyd then needed a new umbrella for their love of all things Village people and came up the SCN as a cover. apparently there is a secret entranc somewhere on SCN to the Village people part.

but i am sure they will both be quick to stomp on these rumours.

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
its a love child of zboyds love of chairs, m0rks love of cups, shaggys love of ra ra girls and my ex davis cup tennis days.

Seat Cup Ra . Net

:hide:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
You have to go way back when yahoo message groups were the 'thing'

both z & myself found ourselves online being part of the SEAT Drivers Club, we outgrew the yahoogroups, moved onto Smartgroups - all of this was way before forums really existed - Circa 2000, maybe a bit before really.

Then Lee (shaggy) bought his Leon, bought the domain & started his own website in about may 2001. he pimped it on Smartgroups & gradually people moved over.

Then 12,000 other people joined.

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
m0rk said:
You have to go way back when yahoo message groups were the 'thing'

both z & myself found ourselves online being part of the SEAT Drivers Club, we outgrew the yahoogroups, moved onto Smartgroups - all of this was way before forums really existed - Circa 2000, maybe a bit before really.

Then Lee (shaggy) bought his Leon, bought the domain & started his own website in about may 2001. he pimped it on Smartgroups & gradually people moved over.

Then 12,000 other people joined.

i still remember the url, clubs.yahoo.com/seatdriversclub

i think

Ah, those heady SDC days. Still have the engraved keyring.
All those mails each time somebody posted almost got me the sack - spent so much time reading them and laughing at the latest round of abuse, didn't find much time for any work!
Some other blasts from the past include John Burton with his Leon 1.6 hire car (anyone know what he's doing now) and Dave Clarke tearing the s**t out of Mr Arthurton's new Ibiza Cupra around Alconbury - still got the video of that somewhere!
Can't remember the name of the wee Scottish chap who used to know the answer to any technical question you could possibly think of - really bugging me 'cos it's on the tip of my tongue.

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
Crikey, was it that long ago!!!!!!!!

I remember meeting up with Shaggy, Cupramax, Martyn, Mork and Monkeyboy in a pub called the "Balloon" or something like that. I think the site had just started and this may well have been one of the first meets.

Still got my "SEAT Drivers Club" magazine on cd, lol.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Yer that's Grant, he's still knocking about, saw him the other year for a chinwag, he was aiming to go travelling last time i spoke.

Shaggy (Lee) known as Cupraman at the time, and he as m0rk says pimped it on the smartgroups, and me and m0rk and a several others joined the forum in the May of 2001 and as we were heading for Alconbury that June, he asked if he could come along, take photies for the then very early SCN site.

Lee turns up to Alconbury complete with huge pimptastic puffer jacket and wide-boy southern softy accent ;) we chatted, got on well, and helped the forum to grow etc, and the rest is history as they say, a few bumps in the road as with all stories, but were 5 years young in May, so not bad. :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise