Tracking Issues

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
Anyone else find their Ibiza is prone to having to be tracked a few times a year? Mine seems to be a right lightweight with bumps. I'm on AP Coilovers with Cupra/Polybushed all around. I'm running a fairly sensible drop, its hardly slammed.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Mines always pulls to the left (quite badly) but i'm not bothered in getting the tracking done just now cos i'm going to replace the suspension soonish.

I find the wheels pull themselves into ruts pretty bad too, so maybe this is whats causing your tracking to go out all the time?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I find the wheels pull themselves into ruts pretty bad too, so maybe this is whats causing your tracking to go out all the time?

Lower profile tyres can cause 'tramlining', where the wheels find the easiest path along the road and follow it. It can feel odd, and can feel like the car is misbehaving.

Chino_UK, you say that your tracking keeps dropping out, are you actually having to get it adjusted every time? Does the garage say how far it's out?

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Most manufactures use steel and high quality rubber for there suspension components. But SEAT had the amazing idea of using cheese. On reflection i think steel and high quality rubber was the way to go.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Most manufactures use steel and high quality rubber for there suspension components. But SEAT had the amazing idea of using cheese. On reflection i think steel and high quality rubber was the way to go.

Lol, not really Seats fault, more VW! I agree though, i was scanning the net the other week looking for info on something and stumbled across a reliabilty poll that said that over 50% of the problems on the ibiza are suspension problems. Had the suspension been designed better, the ibiza would have been a much better car...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Lol, not really Seats fault, more VW! I agree though, i was scanning the net the other week looking for info on something and stumbled across a reliabilty poll that said that over 50% of the problems on the ibiza are suspension problems. Had the suspension been designed better, the ibiza would have been a much better car...

I think that you mean Skoda, as all these problem parts are Skoda made in CZ and really all we should expect from that country/company. Also I think that referring to them as being made from cheese is an insult to some good stuff (well some cheeses are good), I'd say that they are made from what our bodies turn cheese into!

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
For example. I hit a pothole earlier this week, got it tracked yesterday,car felt great again. Went over a slightly sunken manhole cover this afternoon...it's now pulling bigtime to the left, so I'm tomorrow to get my tracking done again.
It just seems the Ibiza gets the tiniest knock and that's it, I'm shelling out for tracking again.

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
I find it is generally sensitive to the road, in France mine pulled to the right!

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Iv noticed on certain roads that have ruts it fairly pulls, tyres just seem to find them.

Iv had my alignment done once after fitting suspension then about a year later had to get it done again due to excessive tyre wear on the jnner edge. Im blaming the shite standard bushes, already had them done within the warranty but didnt know about the cupra alternative so thats my plan for the next few weeks to get them fitted

Modelmakerman

Mk4 Ibiza FR TDi
Apr 24, 2010
Bristol, UK
www.modelmakerman.com
I find it is generally sensitive to the road, in France mine pulled to the right!

That is normal, all roads are "crowned" in construction meaning that in cross section the middle is higher than the edges so the water runs to the edges (kerbs), some more so than others. In the UK we drive on the left so gravity will pull the steering slightly left. In countries where they drive on the right the steering will be pulled slightly right.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
That is normal, all roads are "crowned" in construction meaning that in cross section the middle is higher than the edges so the water runs to the edges (kerbs), some more so than others. In the UK we drive on the left so gravity will pull the steering slightly left. In countries where they drive on the right the steering will be pulled slightly right.

Why are other cars not affected by this though?

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Why are other cars not affected by this though?

They are to an extent.

I just think its more noticable on Ibizas due to oversized wheels, undersized tyres and uncompromising suspension

As for the tracking issue, the track rods and ends are of comparable quality with any other similar manufacturer. Its possible you have some damaged threads on the track rod or end, and this is allowing it to continually jump.

Or it may just be that the combination of wheels/tyres/suspension you run doesn;t have enough 'give', and the first thing that does give is the track rod. Getting the tracking adjusted is cheaper than replacing the rack every time you hit a bump :lol:

allias

Nov 17, 2011
Somewhere in a middle
You all right saying that certain cars will be affected by crown of road but if alignment/geometry is off then it will be pulling more one side then other. If any vehicles had done bushes and subframe removed then it needs aligning it again after all work. VAG cars are prone to that problem due to way subframe is installed. It all can be corrected. We deal with those on daily basis.

We had this orginized http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=336251
to show how many times this problem is overlooked. If you guys have any suspension job done - MAKE SURE YOU DO FULL GEOMETRY READ-OUT!!!. Caster reading is the one that will indicate pull problem and possible subframe miss-align.

Dont fall for myth that VAG cars pull - Because they dont. If they are lowered they can still handle right dispite what you have done to your car. As long there is no loose/broken/bent parts then there is always way to make it go straight.

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
You all right saying that certain cars will be affected by crown of road but if alignment/geometry is off then it will be pulling more one side then other. If any vehicles had done bushes and subframe removed then it needs aligning it again after all work. VAG cars are prone to that problem due to way subframe is installed. It all can be corrected. We deal with those on daily basis.

We had this orginized http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=336251
to show how many times this problem is overlooked. If you guys have any suspension job done - MAKE SURE YOU DO FULL GEOMETRY READ-OUT!!!. Caster reading is the one that will indicate pull problem and possible subframe miss-align.

Dont fall for myth that VAG cars pull - Because they dont. If they are lowered they can still handle right dispite what you have done to your car. As long there is no loose/broken/bent parts then there is always way to make it go straight.

Well my front tyres last 12-14k miles before inside 1" wears out yet rest of tyre still has 3-4mm tread. Had a full Geo alignment by someone recommended (OK but not going back!) and it was all in spec. So I live with the tyre wear. I know all about Geo alignments as one of my car is fully adjustable and I have been doing it and messing with it for 10 years. Are you suggesting this tyre wear is not standard (Cupra stock)? Seems a common problem for VAG with wide tyres.. Sorry for the thread hijack!

Oh and I don't think the Cupra is any worse than other cars for following the crown of the road... trick is to find a good well surfaced single track road that is straight and then while in the middle at 30-50mph... just let go of steering wheel (obviously keep hands hoovering over rim to grab it). If it is truely pulling you will find out then.

Davejm

Jan 24, 2011
I think that you mean Skoda, as all these problem parts are Skoda made in CZ and really all we should expect from that country/company. Also I think that referring to them as being made from cheese is an insult to some good stuff (well some cheeses are good), I'd say that they are made from what our bodies turn cheese into!

I assume that this is a non too subtle attempt at trolling within this thread. I'm pretty sure Skoda, VW, SEAT, Audi etc all assemble parts provided by third party suppliers that form what is known as a 'supply chain'. Whilst I don't know where the bushings and other suspension components are manufactured, it could be Birmingham, or Berlin, or most likely Beijing. If you need me to get some crayons to illustrate this for you, then please let me know......

allias

Nov 17, 2011
Somewhere in a middle
Well my front tyres last 12-14k miles before inside 1" wears out yet rest of tyre still has 3-4mm tread. Had a full Geo alignment by someone recommended (OK but not going back!) and it was all in spec. So I live with the tyre wear. I know all about Geo alignments as one of my car is fully adjustable and I have been doing it and messing with it for 10 years. Are you suggesting this tyre wear is not standard (Cupra stock)? Seems a common problem for VAG with wide tyres.. Sorry for the thread hijack!

Oh and I don't think the Cupra is any worse than other cars for following the crown of the road... trick is to find a good well surfaced single track road that is straight and then while in the middle at 30-50mph... just let go of steering wheel (obviously keep hands hoovering over rim to grab it). If it is truely pulling you will find out then.

Readings within spec doesnt mean its fine. Trouble is that those so called alignment shops go by whats screen show without understanding why you have a problem with your suspension. There few cars that spec shows to set toe-out where actually that makes them wear on inside and people think - Yes, I have done alignment and everything is alright.
That is the problem why so many of you go to alignment shop and hear - "this is not adjustable, we cant move this, this not solid" - sorry but for me that is totally bu!!$hit.

I have seen many cars with reading off the scale and drive straight and handle like no other cars. Its a case of understanding whats best for suspension. Specs are just a guideline. You need to adjust it so it will work for your setup - lowered/raised or factory spec.

PS. About your Cupra. If you had it done by spec and your tyres did wear uneven that mean -> this spec is no good and you need to find whats best for your car, even when it might shows of the scale. Its about understanding why you need to do this.

Its even harder to find "happy middle" when you deal with lowered suspension as factory spec can be thrown out the window. :p

Last edited:

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
Thanks for all the input guys :)

I suspect it's a case of the lay of the road etc, took it back this morning, my mate set it up on the 4 wheel geo, it's pretty much bob on apparently(sports suspension taken into account). I'm probably just paranoid after the pothole issue last week.

My suspension is quite hard and unforgiving with the polybushing, coilovers and strut brace/RARB, so it could well be it makes the car more sensitive to road defects/tramlining?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.