Replacing Standard Bushes

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Am I right in thinking, that I only need the pair of Cupra bushes? My friend is going on about me needing new lower arms as well, 'as it's easier to do the whole thing'. I'm pretty sure it's just the bushes that need doing......
The lower arms is just the lazy way of doing it, yes you can change them and it isn't very difficult, but any labour costs you save by changing the arm, you end up spending it to buy the arms!

Don't forget on top of the fitting cost, the tracking will need to be checked and adjusted if necessary.

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Guildford and Bristol (uni)
Ah okay cheers mate. I'll check the price of the arms with David @ Sere. If it's significantly cheaper to do, I'm all for saving some dosh! Asked my mate at work who knows a few mechanics, so hopefully will get a cheaper quote..

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Ah okay cheers mate. I'll check the price of the arms with David @ Sere. If it's significantly cheaper to do, I'm all for saving some dosh! Asked my mate at work who knows a few mechanics, so hopefully will get a cheaper quote..
Other thing to bear in mind is any new arms you get will need to have the Cupra bushes on them already, just renewing the standard ones doesn't work, they'll be shot again in 20k miles. I don't think this will be an issue though because I'm quite sure you'll find it's cheaper to just change the bushes.

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Other thing to bear in mind is any new arms you get will need to have the Cupra bushes on them already, just renewing the standard ones doesn't work, they'll be shot again in 20k miles. I don't think this will be an issue though because I'm quite sure you'll find it's cheaper to just change the bushes.

Cool cheers. I want to upgrade to Cupra bushes anyway, for the better handling.

I'll probably have to shell out £180 ish for the bush fitting, and then another £25 for tracking.. :ban:

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
Hey ,

I've got all the tools for fitting cupra bushes as per Briskoda guide, if you wanted to diy like me it would only take a few hours. I kind soul on there made me up the spacers for extraction and insertion of bushes for beer money really.

Im no mechanic ,but with the right tools this has a Haynes spanner rating of 2 or 3 max.;) There are no tracking issues as its all done with bush console on car.

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
I don't really have the knowledge nor confidence to do that myself to be honest.. Will be happier to just pay someone to do it for me! :gay:

Plus I don't have the proper tools for the job :/

Anyone in the South East who can help, I've got some cash waiting for ya! :p

Deleted member 35176

Seat quoted me £235 parts and labour inc VAT. Got it down to £155 inc VAT and got an Ibiza Mk5 FR Tdi courtesy car, so not bad!!

Deleted member 35176

Magic mate, i wernt happy with some previous work they did, so they gave me a 100% credit note against it. Proper good service!

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Hey ,

I've got all the tools for fitting cupra bushes as per Briskoda guide, if you wanted to diy like me it would only take a few hours. I kind soul on there made me up the spacers for extraction and insertion of bushes for beer money really.

Im no mechanic ,but with the right tools this has a Haynes spanner rating of 2 or 3 max.;) There are no tracking issues as its all done with bush console on car.
Yeah it can be done on the car if you have the right tools, most people take the wishbones off though for ease of fitting. And if they haven't got the correct tool. I tried making a tool up but wasn't having much success with it.

conno11y

I've bought replacement OEM bushes as a temp replacement until I get some Powerflex or Cupra bushes. Been a weak point on both ibiza's that i've owned.

I took the wishbone off then used a homemade tool that pulled them out after heating the wishbone a little.

Last edited by a moderator:

conno11y

I can't yet make URL Posts so put this together with HTTP in front. It's a guide to make the tool

briskoda
.net
/forums
/topic
/92625
-fabia
-wishbone
-bush
-replacement
-diy
-guide/

Cuprar72

Aug 29, 2017
East sussex
what size are the anti roll bar bushes on 04 plate cupra r bam, i replaced mine with standard but the ones i took out had a broken plastic piece i think went inside rubber but new ones didnt come with it, so i want to uprate them as i noticed that when its jacked up one side theres a gap between bush and arb but not when its on the floor

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
what size are the anti roll bar bushes on 04 plate cupra r bam, i replaced mine with standard but the ones i took out had a broken plastic piece i think went inside rubber but new ones didnt come with it, so i want to uprate them as i noticed that when its jacked up one side theres a gap between bush and arb but not when its on the floor

Cupra R? Do you have a Leon? But if it's anything like the Ibiza's, the older version of the ARB had a plastic sleeve as part of the bar which cracked off the ARB over time(usually as the bar rusted underneath and broke it off), and the bush was no longer a snug fit, resulting in the ARB having to be replaced with a the revised one (no plastic parts).

Cuprar72

Aug 29, 2017
East sussex
yes leon cupra r and yes had plastic sleeve which broke off, what about if i polybush them? just need to measure bar see what thickness mine is, sounds daft if i have to replace whole bar tho

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise