Advise Needed Please...

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
Hey Guys,

Help needed about an incident that has just happened.

Had my old Cupra arranged to be recovered away for scrap this evening and all was going good until the moron didn't attach the car to the winch properly and the car goes hurtling off the back of the truck (with him hanging out of the side of it!).

Now, the car went crashing off his truck which I'm not bothered about because it was going for scrap, but it goes smashing into the back on my Mk2 Leon damaging both the rear BTCC bumper, drivers door and drivers mirror.

I've taking pictures of his truck, damage to my car, location of cars and truck, and his driving license.

Would I treat this as a usual insurance claim, call my insurance and give all his details and everything goes from there? Or would this be treated differently as it was actually my vehicle that damaged my car but his business practises that caused the entire incident.

He claims to have traders insurance which covers his work and can and I've done an insurance check on his van and all comes back as insured but haven't been in a situation like this before where my own car has damaged my car due to a companies (one man band) error.

His van isn't sign written and he says that he is insured for all his work but how can this be checked. He was just a guy off Facebook who collects scrap cars.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
Felt devastated!

The main worry is that if he doesn't hold Public Liability Insurance am I basically screwed?

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
As far as I know it's just Recovery and vehicle maintenance but no sign writing on his truck or anything.

Didn't give any business information to me be he has used a business name on the V5 but doesn't turn up anything :(

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
So no other way around this if he doesn't hold the relevant insurance other than to claim on my insurance, pay for the damage myself, or take him to court.

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
Taking him to court will be long winded and no guarantee you will win.
Has he taken your old car ?
Did you take photos of both cars ?
Did he agree to go through insurance's before he left ?

Andy

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
He still took the old car, yes.

I have pictures of the incident, yes. (Main picture of the two vehicles rested with him in between them as soon as he managed to get up from nearly being crushed in between them)

He agreed to go through insurance as soon as it happened.

e4be1e9f5fa1b2c1980ae0624702f0a8.jpg

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
Yeah I've got a picture of his truck and also his driving license so I've got all his details.

spongeym

Feb 9, 2017
I can't believe that! I really hope that the guy is legit and you don't have to make the claim against your insurance

Sent using wizardry

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.