Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013
While I was searching the net today I found some good information sources about the navigation system updates.

As you know navigation system works with the sd card that is installed at slot 2. All the map is installed in it and system uses these map from sd card. So if you can update the map in this sd card, you will always have the updated maps.

Today vw's discover media, skoda's amundsen and seat's 5,8 inch navigation systems work at the same way. At the links below you can find discover media's and amundsen's map updates. They are most efficaciously same. And I think it is also same for Seat's system.

1)For VW: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...t=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light

How to update: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...t=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light

2)For Skoda: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...dsen&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&

How to update: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...ions&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&

These files are approximately 4,5 GB.

If friends who have navigation system in their Leons can try this and inform us, we will be very happy. Thanks. And you do not have to install anything to your car's system. Just download the map. Put it in to sd car and locate it to slot 2. If it doesn't work you can locate your original sd card. That is all.

Note: These map updates are free for VW and Skoda now. For example if you want to update your Opel's maps, it costs 99 euro. Really expensive.

Last edited:

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
Both VW and Skoda update links point to one and same file:

http://vw.download.navigation.com/MIB_Std_Single_Files_EU_12Q3/P34_N60S3MIBS2_EU_NT_Q3.12.7z

So, it is highly likely that the update will work also for the SEAT navigation system.

I have ordered my car with the navigation so I really hope I can get free updates. I am not gonna pay for updates, that's ridiculous. If I have to pay, I'll take updates illegally. It's just silly to ask money for updates while you may have them free on any other device and even on other VW groups cars.

Reactions: Mohamed emarah

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
I've downloaded the map update archive and uncompressed it on my HDD for examination. And here's a very promising discovery I made. In the following path:

markets\eu\map\styles

there are 4 folders named respecitvely 1, 2, 3, 4. The structure of those folders is same and the interesting part is in the subfolder named "Font". Each of the 4 font folders contains different files preffixed respectively:

1 - AudiTypeSemi*.ttf
2 - VWThesis*.ttf
3 - SkodaProScreen-*.ttf
4 - SEAT MetaStyle-*.ttf

So, I guess the navigation software is the same on all 4 brands and it's only the different UI skins that are different with respective icon sets, fonts, etc. That's why it is one and same update file for Skoda and VW and it most certainly works also for Audi and SEAT.

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013
There are 37 Europe countries in the database. The dimensions of the maps are:

1) France: 572,8 mb
2) Russia: 437,1 mb
3) Germany: 392,8 mb
4) Italy: 287,4 mb
5) Turkey: 281 mb
6) Spain: 273,4 mb
7) Poland: 164,9 mb
8) Ireland: 153,6 mb
9) Sweden: 152,3 mb
10) Ukraine: 150,7 mb
11) United Kingdom: 146,2 mb

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Looks to be for the old RNS510 Navi systems?

Id be surprised if it works on the new Leon system as the new system is very different to the RNS510?

Whats the date of the update?

Cheers

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013

Id be surprised if it works on the new Leon system as the new system is very different to the RNS510?

Cheers

At the first message I explained the update. And told the latest navigation systems about vw, skoda and seat in detail way. And I said this updates are for these. I think you did not read them. It is obviously clear that RNS510 is out of this subject.

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013

Cheers

ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0034" and SystemName=" ECE 2013/14 "

I think 0034 means the update week. So it refers to second week of September. It is really up to date. Do not hesitate to download it. It is completely for the new Leon.

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
I believe we're entitled to free updates from the dealer, which they claim are released once per year. IMO with warranties in place it's not worth the risk of bricking your Nav with software (that we have no official guarantee is for our units) just to get some data a few weeks newer with some additional/changes to roads you'll probably never drive on.

I'd be interested if you could upload just the 4 font files though?

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
The Sat Nav isn't go to brick though surely, you could go and buy an 8Gb SD card plug it in and use that, then swap back the old one for servicing, it's just reading satellite data off the card. It's not updating the car to Windows 8!

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013
I believe we're entitled to free updates from the dealer, which they claim are released once per year. IMO with warranties in place it's not worth the risk of bricking your Nav with software (that we have no official guarantee is for our units) just to get some data a few weeks newer with some additional/changes to roads you'll probably never drive on.

I'd be interested if you could upload just the 4 font files though?

You can update you map whenever you want. It is related to your sd kart. There is no relationship between the warranty and this process. This a legal process from the map supplier. We do not crack any system here.

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013
The Sat Nav isn't go to brick though surely, you could go and buy an 8Gb SD card plug it in and use that, then swap back the old one for servicing, it's just reading satellite data off the card. It's not updating the car to Windows 8!

Very good and helpful reply. Thanks.

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
As for the fonts. The update is about newer maps and not about fonts and other files. There's no need for you to upload the fonts only since they are probably unchanged.

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
I believe maps are updated twice a year, judging by the information on Skoda website:

http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/experience/service/maps-updating

Available map versions:
Columbus navigation system - 72 ECE
Amundsen navigation system - 34 ECE

Last Update: June 2013; Next Update: November 2013

The one in question is 34 ECE, so 34 is not the week of the year if it has been released in June. I guess my Leon will come with the 34 already installed, so I'll have to wait until next update in November then.

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
I believe we're entitled to free updates from the dealer, which they claim are released once per year.

My dealer has confirmed one update a year (approx), but that they are NOT free either under warranty or through a maintenance plan.

CyberGene said:
The one in question is 34 ECE, so 34 is not the week of the year if it has been released in June. I guess my Leon will come with the 34 already installed, so I'll have to wait until next update in November then.

According to the system info my version is 0030 ECE 2013/2014. Maybe the 0030, 0034, 0072 etc is car/system specific.

Maybe a bit more investigation needed. It would be interesting to hear from somebody who downloads the updates to a new card and tests it out

Last edited:

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
According to the system info my version is 0030 ECE 2013/2014. Maybe the 0030, 0034, 0072 etc is car/system specific.

034 was supposedly released in June. If you've had your car before that, this could explain why you've got the earlier version 030. If your car is newer than June, then maybe those numbers are different for the different brand, units, etc.

Last edited:

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
034 was supposedly released in June. If you've had your car before that, this could explain why you've got the earlier version 030. If your car is newer than June, then maybe those numbers are different for the different brand, units, etc.

My car was brand new last week! Actually bought ex-docks, so I'm guessing a very newly built car. Unless of course they have thrown an old SD card in, instead of a new one.

Unfortunately packaging box doesn't give any clues.

Would be useful if others could list their codes and dates so we could maybe get an idea about what is happening - unless anybody has an in at Seat.

Reactions: LauraVL

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
My dealer has confirmed one update a year (approx), but that they are NOT free either under warranty or through a maintenance plan.

Maybe a bit more investigation needed. It would be interesting to hear from somebody who downloads the updates to a new card and tests it out

Yes will be interesting to see if it works, soon as I pick up a extra sd card
I'll give it a try
Thanks to the op for posting it up

When you think how much the sat nav cost its very annoying though if seat charge for an update, when it is available free of charge from navique
Why can't they give you an update free of charge at every major service at the same time they do any other software updates on the car

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Yes will be interesting to see if it works, soon as I pick up a extra sd card
I'll give it a try
Thanks to the op for posting it up

When you think how much the sat nav cost its very annoying though if seat charge for an update, when it is available free of charge from navique
Why can't they give you an update free of charge at every major service at the same time they do any other software updates on the car

They wont do any other software updates at service time.

They only do software updates if its a recall issue, or if a customer has a problem and Seat has developed a software update to fix it. They most certainly do not do software updates during routine servicing.

My sons a master tech with Nissan. He formerly worked for Ford and then VW - all of them are the same, only doing updates if a recall or customer notified problem.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013

They only do software updates if its a recall issue, or if a customer has a problem and Seat has developed a software update to fix it. They most certainly do not do software updates during routine servicing.

My sons a master tech with Nissan. He formerly worked for Ford and then VW - all of them are the same, only doing updates if a recall or customer notified problem.

Yes I realise that, it was more a "wouldn't it be nice if the did" would make you feel a bit less ripped of at the price they charge for a service, especially the basic service, which is little more than an expensive oil change aand a pretty stamp in the book
A few simple things like updating the sat nav and the software would go some way to making you feel you had got something for the money and they had a care for your custom

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands

This doesn't appear to be true. It's all over SEAT's website in the services section that they check and provide software updates free of charge as part of a service.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.