Fuel Consumption

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
I'd have to granny drive mine to get anywhere near that!

That is proper 60 in a 70, 25 in a 30 stuff to get over 600 miles, I'll bet. Most I ever got out of mine was 550, that's with venting and glueing to the speed limit, which generally means the inside lane on the motorway, battling with lorries and caravans.

Out of the tank at the moment I'll be lucky to get 450. This includes a few near top speed runs in 6th, so it's not bad. Avg is something like 42mpg for me. I'll be swapping to stock today anyway so might get a bit better. The car is near undriveable in the wet/ice never mind when the snow comes.

pbirkett

Jun 17, 2004
Newcastle
pbirkett.blogspot.com
APNess said:
I'd have to granny drive mine to get anywhere near that!

That is proper 60 in a 70, 25 in a 30 stuff to get over 600 miles, I'll bet. Most I ever got out of mine was 550, that's with venting and glueing to the speed limit, which generally means the inside lane on the motorway, battling with lorries and caravans.

Out of the tank at the moment I'll be lucky to get 450. This includes a few near top speed runs in 6th, so it's not bad. Avg is something like 42mpg for me. I'll be swapping to stock today anyway so might get a bit better. The car is near undriveable in the wet/ice never mind when the snow comes.

Agreed. Most I ever got out of my Fabia PD130 was 450 miles to a tank, although i never let it go completely empty, this was an 11 gallon tank as well.

Most of my journeys consisted of going to work, or friends, and generally going to work, it just barely got warmed up on the 8 mile journey, especially in winter. My work journeys would frequently fall below 40 MPG.

In the end, my average MPG was 36. I used to get around 380 (give or take, usually take) miles out of 10 gallons, which frankly, I was very disappointed about - one reason I bought it was because I believed I could expect 500+ out of a tank without effort.

I now have a Clio 182 (2.0 petrol 16v) which I drive in much the same way, and I managed to get 260 miles out of around 8 gallons of super unleaded (or about £35 worth). Considering it used to cost another £10 to fill my PD130 and I only got another 130 miles out of it was quite disappointing - I thought the whole point in diesels was economy - and yes they are economical, but mainly if you do long journeys.

For running cars around the doors, they dont really make much sense, at least in a "performance" car role anyway.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
AndyVTR said:
Why would you buy a diesel if you wanted performance?
I wanted performance, but also wanted to keep my fuel bills down as I do 25-30k miles per year - coupled with Gp7 insurance, an Ibiza TDI Sport was the obvious (and only, at the time) choice.

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
But it's hardly a perfomance car is it? Buy a diesel for economy if you do the miles.

mr. Hedgehog

Has gone to the Darkside
Nov 1, 2004
Malvern
Just bought a Fabia VRS and am hoping to get some good milage out of it as my new job requires about 2000 miles per month or more. Currently have a leon (cupra) which is appauling on the petrol - I get 300-310 miles to the tank with a mix of city and motorway - (i give it some on the duel carridgeway, but usually stick to 75-80 on Mway) whats that work out at MPG wise? Got to be in the low 30s? (a tank is £52-56, unsure what size it is, but always allow it to run to the fuel light and then fill completely)

There seems to be a lot of varience between TDis considering people have been experimenting to see how many miles they can get out of the tank. I would have thought that if people were on their best behaviour the results would have been more close?

What am i likely to see in the VRS?

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Main point is if you wanted performance you'd get a petrol.

Economy a DIEsel.

dyls

mr. Hedgehog said:
What am i likely to see in the VRS?

I had a golf 130tdi before my leon and got an average of 52mpg travelling around 65 miles per day, mostly A roads but some built up areas as well.

With the Leon FR Tdi I'm getting around 48mpg which is still good.

I think the performance in the Leon Tdi 150 is very good and not much different to a peugeot 306 gti I owned last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
AndyVTR said:
But it's hardly a perfomance car is it? Buy a diesel for economy if you do the miles.
Well it depends what you mean by a performance car.
To me a 160-odd bhp car is a performance car regardless of fuel type, far quicker than any other car I've owned and probably quicker than 90% of other traffic on the roads; I really enjoy driving it and it still makes me grin....so to me it's definitely a performance car.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
AndyVTR said:
And if you had spent the same money on a petrol performance car? 182?
I'd be spending around £1-2k a year more on fuel, and I suspect the insurance would be higher than the Gp7 of the Ibiza....

Triple D

When i get mine custom coded next year im expecting it be 200 bhp or if i went for a VT2 turbo from Allard would see 225-230 bhp which would centanly be a performance hatch imo.

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
Didn't the Ibiza TDI Sport 130 win Diesel car "PERFORMANCE car of the year" a Couple of years ago ? ? ?

Surley that would qualify it as a performance car ? ?

Any way Define performance . . Golf GTI ? ? Mark 3 AND Mark 4 non turbo are both slower than the Ibiza/Leon TDI's

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
spaniels fr said:
Not necercerily, maybe he just loves the torque that diesels produce?
Exactly - even if I didn't need the economy, I'd go for a TDI every time now. I just prefer the way they drive.

But let's not start a P vs. D debate shall we :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise