Seat Leon FR II TDI tuning...

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
Next week i will get my new Seat Leon FR II TDI (170bhp) car.
My current car has several mods, i will also mod the diesel car as well.

My plan is to remove the exhaust filter (DRF it is called) and replace it with a Milltek downpipe (directly on the turbo) and a full Milltek exhaust.

After this customizing the ECU for maximum performance :rolleyes:

My questions to the diesel wizzkids over here : are there any more mods possible on de FR diesel which assure some gains in power (torque is already enough) :confused:

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Next week i will get my new Seat Leon FR II TDI (170bhp) car.
My current car has several mods, i will also mod the diesel car as well.

My plan is to remove the exhaust filter (DRF it is called) and replace it with a Milltek downpipe (directly on the turbo) and a full Milltek exhaust.

After this customizing the ECU for maximum performance :rolleyes:

My questions to the diesel wizzkids over here : are there any more mods possible on de FR diesel which assure some gains in power (torque is already enough) :confused:

Don't think you can ditch the DPF.

1) The ECU is linked into it somehow, meaning loosing the DPF and the ECU throws a wobbly.
2) The MOT's nowadays know what your emissions should be, in 3 years time, if they are a certain % over what they should be it becomes a fail.

Couple of tuners have managed to get around 200bhp out of the cars with the DPF, or course, a couple of other tuners have set fire to the DPF and the car while trying .... :(

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
Removing the DPF will result in less resistance in the flow, thereby it is possible to gain more with a custom chip.

My tuner has already done one without the DPF and the results were promising 229bhp and 440nm :think: (the car was made for racing purpose).

The problem you get when removing the DPF is that it contains 4 sensors which will generate alarms on you display.

My tuner will remove these alarms in the ECU and therefore he needs to work on my car for a week :blink:

I will pick-up my car today.., within 4 weeks a will have it run throug its first 2000km and than the Full Milltek exhaust will be ready to install.
Then i bring to the car to my tuner for the ECU change.

I keep you informed about the performance [B)]

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
do milltek do a system for the FR TDi yet? or is it a modified MK5 golf system.

They told me they are developing at least a new downpipe for the Seat Leon for customurs who want to remove the DRF.

I can imagine if the MK5 golf systems parts fit on the Seat Leon it will be the same :think:
http://www.millteksport.com/news.read.cfm?articleid=77

I have my car now and driving it throug its first km..., my first impression is good, but i lack a bit of power, which will be sorted out soon

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
Standard Chip is in now and definitly more power and torque.
Values for the chip are 200bhp/420nm.

Have ordered a custom exhaust from EPS, 63mm RVS, no DRF and only the end resonater. After a week i will have it fitted and the ECU will be custom made for the EPS exhaust. Also i run on the dyno for the results :rolleyes:

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
Here some pictures of the new exhaust, the DPF and the very tight corner in the standard exhaust.

Lower part of the car...
LeonFR01.jpg

Much to tight corner in the exhaust with DPF...
LeonFR03.jpg

Comparison old and new...
LeonFR02.jpg

Tomorrow the car is of to to assemble the new exhaust and the custom software :funk:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Interesting !

Have the tuners worked out how to prevent the ECU from throwing a fault yet?

I presume the 4 bosses on the old exhaust are where the sensors went.
Any idea what the sensors detect ?

Also - any idea if the downpipe/DRF is the same part as fitted to the Altea PD170 ?

Last edited:

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
I know that the tuner knows how to disable the 4 sensoralarms from the DPF (the 4 bosses you mentioned) and prevent the car to go into alarmmode :rolleyes:

Don't know exactly what the 4 sensors detect but i guess heating, airflow, ???

Don't know but a guess if it is the same engine the DPF will also be the same.

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
Got my car and its definitly faster as before.., also the sound is amazing, when you drive a constand speed its almost the same as original, but whe you opens the throttle instantly the sound changes to a real racing sound :rolleyes:

Specs are 223bhp and 477nm of torque :whistle:.., i will place the dyno later on :drool:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
That's impressive - so that's just by removing the DPF, changing the exhaust and a remap ?

How is the clutch coping with 477NM ?I can't remember the conversion offhand but that's quite a way over 300lbft isn't it, which is generally considered the maximum the standard clutch can handle.

Look forward to seeing the dyno results.

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
That's impressive - so that's just by removing the DPF, changing the exhaust and a remap ?

How is the clutch coping with 477NM ?I can't remember the conversion offhand but that's quite a way over 300lbft isn't it, which is generally considered the maximum the standard clutch can handle.

Look forward to seeing the dyno results.

Clutch must able to handle this torque just fine. My tuner had it over 500nm..., but that was to much and came in to aggresive. These 477 are coming in hard but not instantly, i bit more smooth :rolleyes:

This afternoon i ran into a BMW 535d touring and we did some sprints on the highway.., first one when he started behind me and i had to shift down to 5 before i could floor it..., (a cloud of black smoke from my exhaust) first he passes me thro his momentum..., but then a was gaining the lost ground quit quickly. At 220km/h i was up his tail :whistle:

Second time a was behind him (not to close to avoid the slipstream) and from 130km/h untill 230km/h a could follow without any problems ;)

Looking at the specs from both cars ;

BMW 1730kg/272pk = 6,36
Seat 1280kg/223pk = 5,74

Take into account all BMW 535d are automatic..., so i'am starting to get happy with my car :rolleyes:
Looking at his face when he let me by i guess he will go to the garage tomorrow morning for a powertest, because he was slower as a 170bhp Seat Leon FR Diesel :funk::D

Herewith my dynoplot...

Dynoplot.jpg

Last edited:

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
hi there where did you get the map done
and how much has the tuning parts cost you so far?

I've done the installation of the custom exhaust by JD Engineering (also called the VAG dokter) (http://www.jdengineering.nl/ ) and he also wrote the software.

I have paid EUR 1250,- for the custom made exhaust by EPS (http://www.uitlaten.com/main.html), for the software i have paid the normal price EUR 690,-. The custom made software for the ECU regarding the exhaust, re-writing the sensors and ERG regeneration process cost me not so much, because it was a sort of experiment :whistle: :funk:

He told me that for other TDI's it would be more expensive because of the extra hours it needed to make it custom. The firmware of the cars is changing a lot these days due to the enviroment issues carmakers have to deal with, so re-using my settings is just partly possible.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.