Temp Warning Light in Mornings

lethargic

Now that the winter is coming close and mornings are colder it seems my car doesn't like it as much as me! I've got a Y (2001?) Ibiza Cupra (1.8 20vT) and every morning this week when I've started it up after 30 sec (ish) the warning light comes on the temp gauge and that BLOODY ANNOYING alarm (suppose it wouldn't be much good if it sang a nice tune to you) sounds three times. At first I thought it was fuses for fans as I've had one go before and carrying spares. No dice.

When I turn the engine off and on again 9 times out of 10 its gone away only to come back the next morning.

I'm in the middle of making one of those kits to use with that VAG diag prog everyone goes on about, but until I have all the parts I can't read error codes and can't afford to let a dealer have a look at the moment.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to kill my car by driving it but I have no choice due to work n all.

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
its a faulty sensor on ur coolant tank mine does it but just havnt had time to take it to SEAT to get it replaced under warrenty use the search mate and u will find more info

spinrs2k

Jul 7, 2004
yep, its an all to common problem, go to seat and get a new coolent header tank as the sensor is built into the tank, fit it and your problem will go happend to me few weeks after buying my ibiza

Last edited:

wazo

Oct 13, 2003
lincoln
Visit site
i had this problem and it was nothing to do with the temp sensor on the header tank i was running a low mixture of coolant therefore the water was getting hotter than normal even when its just warming up if you know what i mean there is a set per centage of coolant that needs to be mixed with the water at all times so if you find during the year you are topping up you water bottle with clear water you are indeed diluting the mix which will result in the temp light flashing

spinrs2k

Jul 7, 2004
wazo said:
i had this problem and it was nothing to do with the temp sensor on the header tank i was running a low mixture of coolant therefore the water was getting hotter than normal even when its just warming up if you know what i mean there is a set per centage of coolant that needs to be mixed with the water at all times so if you find during the year you are topping up you water bottle with clear water you are indeed diluting the mix which will result in the temp light flashing

if you buy the proper coolent from seat you dont need to mix anything with it, comes ready mixed so will never have that problem

lethargic

Thanks for all the answers, Iwill get to Seat when I have the money. Drove through a puddle last week when we had a sheeeite load of rain, good all engine sucked it up and have just paid loads for that to be cleaned out! Doh

I've got this problem on mine now, started yesterday morning (first really chilly morning). Turn engine on from stone cold, temp warning light starts flashing and three loud beeps from the dash. Guess the car will be going back to the dealers again!

It's a bit worrying really, as it nears the start of its third year of existence there seem to be a number of niggling problems with it, mainly all electrical. It further reinforces my desire to change cars before the warranty runs out... :(

lethargic

If they do find the fault can you post here. I've only got 2k before my next service so am going to wait for that. There does seem to be alot of common faults with these though and who ever designed the radio.......!

Si

Southern MoFo!
Aug 21, 2003
Bournemouth
www.westover.org.uk
Yeah, happens to me too. Not every morning, but usally when cold.

Advised the dealer but because its so intermittent they are unable to help me! :rolleyes:

I'll try the coolant mixture but I don't see how that would help on a stone cold engine!

JBS Sales

Hi
No I think they are less than a tenner.
Not hard to replace either.
But do it when all is cold!!!!

Blucupra

Jan 1, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
I have the same problem at the moment. When it's colder then 10 degrees celsius the light flashes and three beep tones are heard.

After lets say 30-45 seconds the flashing light stops and the temperature builds up to the normal 90 degrees C. I will go to the dealer when i have got time. The price in the Netherlands is around 60 euro's (including fitting). That would be around 40 quid i think.

Jeffrey

mozza42

I have the same problem.

Also my temperature guage intermittently works, I guess from the replies above that the two are not related though?

JBS Sales

Yes it could be.
Check your levels and also the strength of your coolant.
Then it could be the temp sensor that makes the guage read incorrect.
Sarah

captain chaos

Apr 28, 2004
livingston
happened this morning to my LCR. wife almost had a nervous breakdown when trying to tell me sumt wrong wif car,. she knows how protective of my baby i am .will this manifest to total failure over time asit wont fail again

danny_lund1

Happened To Me Last Few Days I've Been T See What Is Was And Was Told Its The Temp Sensor But Not The One On/ In The Bottle But The Sensor On The Side Of The Engine, Seat Say £16 + Vat, And Sorted

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
my warning light/beep came on a few weeks ago on a chilly morning. switched off the engine, back on and it didn't come on again. ..... Till today!

I had this problem early this year and took it to my dealer and had it sorted under warranty.

can't believe that at the merest hint of cold(ish) weather the bugger goes pop again!

just waiting for the door seals to go again!!! far to many faults come as standard with SEAT

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.