Fuel Consumption

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Yello said:
Try for a week doing this and you will find that most of your time will be spent either in traffic or blatting about with a huge grin on ya face, note down your weekly average consumption (trip computer will suffice for reference) and then spend the following week consciously trying to maximise your mpg, my bet is that there wont be too much in it.. try it and see

I don't believe that. I have to try very hard to get 55mpg and my needed 600 miles a week. If I drove like I wanted to I'd need to fill up on a Thursday night.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yello said:
Hi

still testing mpg at present, had a few issues to resolve with mapping but all sweet now, shall continue logging details for a couple of mths and may post up some data part way through.

hope this is useful, more info to come now i'm happy with the mapping I can provide some consistant results shortly

Yello
Nice idea about the testing different brands of fuel, only problem is that in the colder weather your mpg will drop noticeably - on the frosty mornings recently my mpg has fallen by (roughly) 10%.
You will need to do your testing of each brand in consistent temperatures for it to be meaningful :)

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Had the FR150 nearly a month and now done 1500 miles.

Commuting 25 miles a day 6 miles on A roads, rest on the M1. When I can I am doing 80 in 6th. I am getting around 45-48mpg when not stuck in traffic.

The miles seem to be getting better, I am looking at around 450 a tank at the moment, better than my 270 from the Focus. Presumably if I do 60mph I will get better milage.

From the M1 to Worksop the other night I did 50 all the way in 5th and got 48.9mpg over a 6 mile stretch.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If it's anything like my Ibiza, you'll get better mpg in 5th at speeds like that, 6th is too tall and labours the engine too much.

banger 115

May 19, 2005
Hi,

got 545 out of first tankfull, and 580 this week.... doing around 65 mph...

well chuffed

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
AndyVTR said:
Mine pulls fine from 50 in 6th. 45 even.
Yes but you haven't got the stupidly high 6th gear that the Ibiza Sports have :)
1000rpm=37.5mph...

Trust me, it took lots of hard work to get my record of 670-odd miles from my Mk4, I know which gears/speeds give the best mpg in that particular car :D

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
it will be fine in 6th, but agreed you get better mpg it seems at 5th, bear in mind it was a nice twisty and not a long straight.

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
720 ! ! ! ! my wife does a 90mile round trip comute every day.
she's just filled up for the first time in eight days

so she's averaged 65mpg ! !(there's no way I could have done it.My right foot is too heavy)

9designs

Sep 21, 2002
Rugby
Visit site
Well just used my 1st tank full, got 540 when the fuel light came on....did about another 30 and squeezed 52 litres in. So not bad, about in line with my old Toledo when it only had a few miles on it, that improved by about 50 miles a tankful. Drove it fairly steady, with a few big boots when I needed to clear stuff.....
This tank I'll push it along a bit, to see what it drops to.

Triple D

9designs said:
This tank I'll push it along a bit, to see what it drops to.
The worst i have had to a tank is about 195 miles which is crap for a pd130 :ban:

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
muddyboots said:
Yes but you haven't got the stupidly high 6th gear that the Ibiza Sports have :)
1000rpm=37.5mph...

You sure? 70 in mine is just over 2k. 70/2=35.

muddyboots said:
Trust me, it took lots of hard work to get my record of 670-odd miles from my Mk4, I know which gears/speeds give the best mpg in that particular car :D

I got 670 out of my 307 HDi and I've had 640 out of the Leon. I'm sure 670 out of a lighter car with less power would be much easier.

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
NickP said:
Last weekend I drove to the Lake District and back and got 631 miles out of the tank....
Thats with it being quite tight too...had 900 miles on it when I set off :D

Now then Nick, not seen you about in a while. Loving it? Not sure I could do a 630 tank up there, would be enjoying the roads too much...

Jonto

Mar 29, 2005
Newcastle under Lyme
jason leese said:
720 ! ! ! ! my wife does a 90mile round trip comute every day.
she's just filled up for the first time in eight days

so she's averaged 65mpg ! !(there's no way I could have done it.My right foot is too heavy)

I live in clayton.

I have thought about the derv doctor, but they looked pricey for remaps plus i am thinking about a custom job, and jabba are quite reasonable for that.

Regards
Jonathan

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members