1.6 egr!

marcuswomersley

Jan 14, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent
My engine sometimes lags, and stutters when i hit the throttle from low revs, i have the feelin this could be the egr valve sticking, would i be right in thinking this?

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
My engine sometimes lags, and stutters when i hit the throttle from low revs, i have the feelin this could be the egr valve sticking, would i be right in thinking this?

Disconnect the vacuum line (and plug it to stop the leak) and see if the problem goes away.

I know this is from a few days back now and that injectors were going to be looked at instead, but for anyone reading in the future - EGR valves are only present on diesels arent they? and Muttley as he only has a NA 1.6 there will be no vac line?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
leon cupra r wrote

I know this is from a few days back now and that injectors were going to be looked at instead, but for anyone reading in the future - EGR valves are only present on diesels arent they? and Muttley as he only has a NA 1.6 there will be no vac line?

Many petrol engines, including some of the 1.6 engines found in the Leon, have EGR. BCB, AZD, AUS and AKL engines have EGR, AEH doesn't.

Vacuum is used as source of power for actuation and control on very nearly every car in existence. All Leon's use vacuum assisted brakes, for example. In a petrol car the source of vacuum is the intake manifold, downstream of the throttle valve.

As for the original question, I was hoping someone with a 1.6 would step in. As far as I can tell, the EGR valves on the 1.6 engine are located on the exhaust manifold. Look for a small unit attached to the side of the exhaust manifold. It will have two pipes attached, one going to the inlet manifold and a narrower one going to a solenoid valve - this is the vacuum line, controlling the valve. To test if the EGR valve is causing your problem, detach the vacuum line and tape it up out of the way, plugging both open ends with cotton wool, tape or any other suitable plug, to maintain vacuum and to stop dirt getting in. You may well get the Engine Management Light illuminating on the dash when you do this.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
leon cupra r wrote

Many petrol engines, including some of the 1.6 engines found in the Leon, have EGR. BCB, AZD, AUS and AKL engines have EGR, AEH doesn't.

Vacuum is used as source of power for actuation and control on very nearly every car in existence. All Leon's use vacuum assisted brakes, for example. In a petrol car the source of vacuum is the intake manifold, downstream of the throttle valve.

As for the original question, I was hoping someone with a 1.6 would step in. As far as I can tell, the EGR valves on the 1.6 engine are located on the exhaust manifold. Look for a small unit attached to the side of the exhaust manifold. It will have two pipes attached, one going to the inlet manifold and a narrower one going to a solenoid valve - this is the vacuum line, controlling the valve. To test if the EGR valve is causing your problem, detach the vacuum line and tape it up out of the way, plugging both open ends with cotton wool, tape or any other suitable plug, to maintain vacuum and to stop dirt getting in. You may well get the Engine Management Light illuminating on the dash when you do this.

Fair enough, looks like I stand corrected! :redface:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
marcuswomersley wrote

Hi Muttley, Ive looked at my EGR and the small air line goes to know where, it just danggle down next to the gear box.. Is that not right? Thanks

Certainly isn't right. It does mean your EGR valve isn't sticking though, it isn't being moved at all.

The vacuum line should go to a small solenoid valve. It's probably on the bulkhead and should have three vacuum/air lines and an electrical connector. On the 1.6 I think that the air line breathes through a small filter right next to the solenoid valve. I've not looked under the bonnet of a 1.6 though, so can't be much more help without pictures.

Could really use some help from someone who has a 1.6 here.....

Deleted member 48395

This is all I have to hand at the moment, is it any help?
dscf4233g.jpg

enginebayw.jpg

FASTER

Feb 18, 2005
Nottingham
it has a non return breather valve on it from what i remember! liitle black tube and that on the end! Bloody things are nothing but trouble! forever burning out:censored: