New MK3 Leon CUPRA R Confirmed

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
I think aesthetically it has grown on me since the original pictures and I would now say it's a very good looking car. But with no real performance upgrades it's still very dissapointing. As has been said many times it is still just a 300 with performance pack.

I would like to have seen 330/340PS, big brake kit, no DCC - just a well engineered performance set up maybe even no cupra button just a single hardcore mode that it's always in, and minimal toys like no sat nav no ACC etc. A bit more raw and driving focused.

That would really have grabbed me.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Matt

Apr 27, 2016
So things picked out of above video.

No digital dash - just white dial backgrounds - really disappointing
All R's numbered infront of gear leaver
Beats audio added - this is now on the whole range anyway as an option
Interior detailing is copper coloured with gloss black - less is more Seat, there's too much here.
Seats are usual Cupra buckets with copper stitching instead of white
Door cards are carbon fibre simi rather than Alcantara on the 300

Disappointed for sure!

Wow did he say in the video 48k euros?

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Borrowed the images from SEAT's site and added them to the article - you can see the three colours side by side.

http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php/2017/09/04/2017-limited-edition-seat-leon-cupra-r-revealed/

r14-1024x469.jpg

r15-1024x469.jpg

r16-1024x469.jpg

Scott

fer b16

Mexican Cupra MK3
May 30, 2017
Can you tell me if those are Borbet or BBS? or if not what brand are they.

redreligion

May 21, 2009
Lincoln or Manchester
So, do we think "available at the end of 2017" means they'll start taking orders then, or the first deliveries will be then? I'm about six weeks away from ordering a 300, but this has muddied the waters a bit...!

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
So, do we think "available at the end of 2017" means they'll start taking orders then, or the first deliveries will be then? I'm about six weeks away from ordering a 300, but this has muddied the waters a bit...!

Seat have said themselves production starts the second week of November with sales at the end of the year. Which I took to mean deliveries to customers from January onwards.

Guess the plan could be to batch build then ship the examples to each RBU to sell.. but then they would need to predict the colour split without customer demand tested.

Springrollz

Jul 22, 2016
London
Who reckons this will actually be shipped with an uprated engine mount ? God forbid they let this wheel hop as violently as the normal cupra .

WhenImAlone

Feb 23, 2017
I watched a video on YouTube about these last night and gotta say they are actually pretty beautiful cars, really like the contract between the copper and the matte grey especially!

But I'm of the same opinion as most of you, just don't feel the performance aspect lives up to what you would want at that price -- they could have at least taken it to 350hp. The exclusivity is what will sell it to the lucky ~33 who own one in the UK but can't say I'm interested in buying one even if I think it's gorgeous.

WhenImAlone

Feb 23, 2017
Who reckons this will actually be shipped with an uprated engine mount ? God forbid they let this wheel hop as violently as the normal cupra .

Isn't the point that this basically is a "normal" Cupra anyway? There's no significant performance upgrade, it will just suffer from the same wheel hop because they won't change it.

Last edited:

Jonno02

Apr 8, 2015
How utterly disappointing. 310PS...still FWD...exhausts look awful and the colour scheme...WTF? Literally 0/10 from me SEAT. Will never buy one.

I think I'll stick with my 290 BE.

Xpo

May 7, 2016
Sweden
So this is just some added aero, contrasting copper, regular p-pack, Golf gti end tips and maybe the same hubs from the clubsport s/ttrs?
I think i will just hold on to my 280 and get around on upgrade the engine mounts and change to kw ddc and call it a day.
I was really hoping for something more hard core...

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
So this is just some added aero, contrasting copper, regular p-pack, Golf gti end tips and maybe the same hubs from the clubsport s/ttrs?
I think i will just hold on to my 280 and get around on upgrade the engine mounts and change to kw ddc and call it a day.
I was really hoping for something more hard core...

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
No sure if already mentioned but matte grey not available in the UK alongside DSG.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.