Is this a speed camera?

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
b45607df99699917e5185ebf954e8506.jpg

I know this isn't Leon or even SEAT related but I'm hoping somebody knows what this is! Two of them have popped up on country lanes (50 zones) near my house, right next to where it goes down to 30. They're relatively busy roads I guess but not a place you'd usually see generic traffic CCTV cameras which is my reason for concern.

There are no sign posts up saying there are speed cameras and apparently all speed cameras must be yellow as of this month. But they have only appeared today so?

Any knowledge will be beneficial as I'm quite concerned if they are and apologies for the **** photo quality but it's pitch black out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
Also worth mentioning upon close inspection there was a red dot coming from next to the lense

Winder123

Aug 10, 2015
North West
If there are the speed lines on the floor, then it's a money making camera. Otherwise if there isn't, it's just a CCTV

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
They look like CCTV or ANPR but I'm not 100%

ANPR is a good shout! After a quick google search they look similar. Would it be a bit lame of me to phone the council and ask?

It's one of my favourite roads and my route to work so this would ruin my daily commute massively

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
... What drew me to these cameras in the first place (believe it or not) was a car parked next to it with two teenagers climbing the lamp post and moving the camera.

Weird I know, but this made me suspicious hahah

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
ANPR is a good shout! After a quick google search they look similar. Would it be a bit lame of me to phone the council and ask?

It's one of my favourite roads and my route to work so this would ruin my daily commute massively

If it is anpr, it won't affect your day to day driving

Winder123

Aug 10, 2015
North West
I think there are only 3 types of speed cameras, the GATSO (big box ones) the average speed and a forward facing camera. All of which I think have lines

According to Google they are called
GATSO
Specs
TRUVELO

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mattb82

Aug 13, 2016
Tamworth
That's not a speed camera. It's either an ANPR or a traffic flow monitor (the things that feed sat navs and traffic sites with the live info).

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
That's not a speed camera. It's either an ANPR or a traffic flow monitor (the things that feed sat navs and traffic sites with the live info).

Why would people be moving them then? And like I said they're relatively busy roads but there's literally never traffic there or accidents etc, it's just weird/concerning

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I think there are only 3 types of speed cameras, the GATSO (big box ones) the average speed and a forward facing camera. All of which I think have lines

According to Google they are called
GATSO
Specs
TRUVELO

Don't forget the latest cash cow, coming to a smart motorway near you soon if they don't have them already.
The very small and easy to hide behind a sign or gantry frame, the five lane covering REDFLEX hadecs3 :censored:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Why would people be moving them then? And like I said they're relatively busy roads but there's literally never traffic there or accidents etc, it's just weird/concerning

Maybe because, like you, they thought it was a speed camera?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Don't forget the latest cash cow, coming to a smart motorway near you soon if they don't have them already.
The very small and easy to hide behind a sign or gantry frame, the five lane covering REDFLEX hadecs3 :censored:

Up already mate, on the M6 Midlands and on the M1. Starting to appear on the M42 also. Replacing GATSO's in most cases.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I think they are some sort of traffic monitoring camera - not correctly installed for something ment as permanent - maybe as simple as counting the traffic flow, I don't think they are in anyway speed cameras, although they may measure the speed of traffic, but only as data, not for enforcement.

I don't believe they are anpr, as you said they are on country lanes, (it tends to be in city's where along with the dedicated anpr poles they will add in additional anpr cameras on existing street furniture to cover rat runs i.e ways to avoid the anpr system)
Out in the countryside, the government has slowly been working round the UK putting up dedicated anpr poles with cameras, covering every road in and out of a town or village. ( most city's are already blanketed with anpr)
At the moment it's all limited to centre recording and storing of every vehicles movement, going back three years ( but only due to data storage costs) as data gets cheaper and faster expect to see it used for speed enforcement , road pricing and anything else they can screw out of us motorists.
If you read the report on its eventual implementation, it's frightening if your a motorists

So sadly before long we won't just be worried about a strange camera we see appear on a country lane :-(

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.