Engine warning light - ON -When I start in the morning

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
Hi All,

Today I just started the engine to start to office morning, it was not starting properly and with vibrations and jerk (looks like misfire). And when I started again it become normal but engine warning light is on throughout the journey. I was not able to feel much difference in engine sound or driving, Only in the lower gears I am feeling little power loss.

Can you guys let me know if you got similar problems or let me know what might be the problem?

I am more worried if it is major & need to spend more, then it is very bad.

Regards,
Saravana

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Maybe try to include the age, mileage and engine type when you post for help as it might be relevant. For what it is worth as it is 2006 car with a 3 cylinder 1.2 engine (I checked your previous posts), it might be that the chain has jumped a tooth and now the timing is out - or a coil or spark plug has failed, or was not firing at initial start, though if it was the coil/spark plug, that does not explain your continued loss of power while the engine now seems to run okayish.

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
@RUM4MO, Thank you... I will check & update in the evening if the light is still on and if I am feeling power loss really or not. Mileage is 101200 Miles and 1.2 Petrol but not sure about whether it has timing chain or timing belt.

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
Hi All,

Evening when I drive the Engine fault light is still ON (Yellow), Also I am able to notice vibration & different noise during idling/or slow speed. I am able to feel loss of power (Need to press little more gas) so I am not sure this is due to misfire or something else. Also I am able to hear different engine noise while driving.

Mainly in slow speed I am able to see more vibration.

Please suggest if something relevant.

Regards,
Saravana

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
get the codes read first for pref' Vag-Com

I do not have VAG-Com, I need to go garage only (VAS-independent).

@Guys, Can you please help me if any one have VAG-com near Leamington Spa. We can check once and see if I can fix myself or I need to go to garage.

Thank you very much for the same.

--Saravana

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
Hi,

I have checked using ELM bluetooth diagnostic device to check the fault code. It shows below error,
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

Can any one know what causes this error? What might be the cost I need to spend in garage? any idea?

Regards,
Saravana

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
it could be a wireing fault or just the sensor suffering from old age (they do with heat and time) I think a new one is approx £30 but check on euro car parts or similar

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
it could be a wireing fault or just the sensor suffering from old age (they do with heat and time) I think a new one is approx £30 but check on euro car parts or similar

Is it easy to check and fit by myself or Do I need to go to Garage? Do we have any instruction guide or video?

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
Hi All,

I have given car to local garage, they told initially cam shaft sensor needed replacement (as we thought), he told he will change it for 60 pounds, He changed and checked the error did not go. So they again rescanned OBD device, It was showing following errors,

Code 1 : 16706 -IGN/Distributor engine speed inp. circ. No signal-Open/short to ground

Code 2: 16725 - CAM shaft position sensor circuit range/performance-Implausible signal

Code 3: 0134 Passive/sporadic engine control module (ECM)-Please read DTC-ECU offline

Code 4: 18265 passive/sporadic load signal error message from engine

I am not sure why these many errors coming, seems like big problem.

Garage mechanic told we can change crank shaft sensor and try to check if that is the problem (He is also not sure what is the problem actually, he is guessing crank shaft sensor might solve the problem) . Can you any one suggest if you came across these errors.

Regards,
Saravana

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
Hi All,

Garage mechanic changed the crank sensor also, no improvement in the Engine light status. Given the car with another garage he told might be problem with Ignition coils (3) and Spark plugs (3) car runs good during normal driving but it gives problem in idling and reverse gear but Engine light came back after clearing also. During starting the car it struggles and dies itself if you are not giving gas, same case when reversing also but once normal it is going smooth after changing coils and spark plugs (that is improvement) from last time.

I have scanned the error again with my OBD Bluetooth device, it shows below 2 errors now.

P0341-Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
P0106-MAP/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem

I have already spend some money on changing all these, Can anyone suggest what might be the problem, So I can try some specific thing now.

Please help, I am not sure to believe garages or not now :-(.

Regards,
Saravana

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
You know you say the car is difficult to start having to use gas ? I had similar in the past with a vw golf .... The car misfired and was very tricky to start, I took the throttle body and maf sensor off and cleaned both using carb cleaner and that made a massive difference, car started perfectly after that.... Gotta be worth a try

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
@turbod, Thank you, I will check if some problem with Throttle body.

@RUM4MO, Thank you, I am going to check this with VAS Inde. garage on Monday. Is it costly to check and correct the static timing?

Yesterday evening , While going back from office, Where ever I wait and break to reduce the speed, Engine died or cut off automatically, it did around 5-8 times. I am not sure if this is also due to timing problem.
So I dont want to drive now without checking with garage, Car is at home now.

Please let me know if any suggestions?

Regards,
Saravana

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
Hi,

Yesterday checked with VAS Independent garage, He did compression test and said compression test is normal, no problem. They suspect now the problem might be timing chain might be slipped or jumped (as RUM4MO told). Garage is quoting around £300-400 as it need more work, check and correct or change if needed. I am not sure is it worth doing on my car now. Car crossed 100000 miles, 56 registration no other problems, Can you guys suggest which is best way to repair and continue this car or sell (not worth selling for much price as it has problem) and buy a another used car?

Can you please give some suggestions?

Regards,
Saravana

Last edited:

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
hi all, any update on my question please
hi,

yesterday checked with vas independent garage, he did compression test and said compression test is normal, no problem. They suspect now the problem might be timing chain might be slipped or jumped (as rum4mo told). Garage is quoting around £300-400 as it need more work, check and correct or change if needed. I am not sure is it worth doing on my car now. Car crossed 100000 miles, 56 registration no other problems, can you guys suggest which is best way to repair and continue this car or sell (not worth selling for much price as it has problem) and buy a another used car?

Can you please give some suggestions?

Regards,
saravana

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
What you have found out and have been told needs a decision by you to move forward, £400 to get another year or two out of this car sounds like being cheap motoring to me.

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
Thank you RUM4MO, I have decided to fix the issue and run for some time. It will be cheaper than buying new car anyway.

Thanks for Suggestion. I will let all know the update once the problem solved.

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
Hi All,

Garage (VAS inde) checked the timing chain today and they told timing is OK and it might be problem with cylinder head/valves. Garage person told it will take time and money(around 700-800£), So I told not to do the same. I am not sure now if really problem with Engine or wiring for Cam sensor.

I came back home and with my friend help just did some try to check whether CAM sensor working or not. We removed CAM sensor wiring and run the engine, it still runs same way no difference. We are thinking it might be problem with CAM sensor wiring. We tried checking voltage in Multi meter ( The connection coming from ECU) it shows 5V in 2 pins, looks different ( we were thinking only one pin should show 5V) other pin should be 0. We are thinking may be CAM sensor wire shorted/damaged in between the way going to ECU.

We want circuit diagram/pin configuration to check that. We are trying to find the same now.

Please help me getting circuit diagram/pin configuration for the same.

Regards,
Saravana

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
for 1.2 with 3 coils POLO cam and crank sensors "5v hall effect" cam pins pin1 common to pin 1 crank sensor goes to 89 pin 2 to 105 pin3 to 111 crank pin 2 to 106 and 3 to 99 a compression test should not be expensive to determine if rings or valves are faulty it needs to be done twice DRY then WET at over 100k the rings are likely tired another thing to check is the brake light switch also check all breather pipes are sound and clean ever earth you can find

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise