Engine warning light - ON -When I start in the morning

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
Hi Nic, Thanks for pin details, Garage has already done compression test.. they told all ok..But not sure they did dry and wet test. I will check with them.
for 1.2 with 3 coils POLO cam and crank sensors "5v hall effect" cam pins pin1 common to pin 1 crank sensor goes to 89 pin 2 to 105 pin3 to 111 crank pin 2 to 106 and 3 to 99 a compression test should not be expensive to determine if rings or valves are faulty it needs to be done twice DRY then WET at over 100k the rings are likely tired another thing to check is the brake light switch also check all breather pipes are sound and clean ever earth you can find

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
Hi Nic,

Thanks for Pin details, I am able to see 1-2-3 pin numbers from CAM sensor side but can you confirm how PIN count needs to start for ECU connector side ?

Also I have already done compression test from VAS Inde Garage, They told everything is OK but I am not sure they did DRY and WET test or not? I will check with them again.

Regards,
Saravana

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
the info I have is for a Seimens Simos 5.2 system yours may not be the same, there are two plugs ad the numbering system is a complete mess unlike the Bosch ones I've seen the best I can offer is to carefully pull the plugs which should have the numbers cast in the plastic

leo5566

May 24, 2017
very common fault on these engines. most common is the valves. i would suggest change timing chain and valves

the camshaft sensor is reporting a fault with performance, meaning that the timing currently seen is not the one registered in ECU. and barometric pressure sensor reads the air pressure inside the engine. if the valves are delayed or damaged, a disruption in airflow will occur, hence your misfire and non start.

i have done about 6 of these engines so far and all of them ended up having damaged valves.

however saying that, the compression test showed poor compression. so see if you can get the PSI readings from the garage. saying "compression is good" is not good. ask for specific values on every cylinder

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
Hi leo5566,

Thank you, I understand it might be valves, Garages say it will take £700-800 do the timing chain and valves. I am not sure if it is worth doing it.

I have done following things checked at different garages but no changes in fault,
1. Cam sensor replaced and checked
2. Crank sensor replaced and checked
3. Timing chain checked and confirmed that it is ok
4. Replaced Ignition coils and spark plugs
5. Cam position sensor wiring to ECU is also checked -it is good, shows continuity
6. Cam sensor output shows(signal output) shows approximately 2.5v for some time in multi-meter but not sure if this is correct of not.

I will need check with garage about compression test values on each cylinder.

Please suggest if valve check and changing is worth doing, Then I will go forward.

Regards,
Saravana

very common fault on these engines. most common is the valves. i would suggest change timing chain and valves

the camshaft sensor is reporting a fault with performance, meaning that the timing currently seen is not the one registered in ECU. and barometric pressure sensor reads the air pressure inside the engine. if the valves are delayed or damaged, a disruption in airflow will occur, hence your misfire and non start.

i have done about 6 of these engines so far and all of them ended up having damaged valves.

however saying that, the compression test showed poor compression. so see if you can get the PSI readings from the garage. saying "compression is good" is not good. ask for specific values on every cylinder

Sprabu

Aug 27, 2017
Hi all,

On Saturday, We checked the Cam shaft position sensor connections, Looks like all 3 pins gets connected to ECU, so no connectivity problem (Checked using continuity test in multi-meter) . Then we tapped all 3 wires (CAM sensor) and checked the values using multimeter, One wire gave 5V, it looks like 5V constant power from ECU, and one ground and signal (Cam signal out) wires gives 2.5-2.6V (during engine ON/running), we did not have oscilloscope, so tested using multi-meter. I was expecting 5V in signal output but it shows 2.5-2.6V only. Please can you guys tell me whether CAM sensor is working fine if it gives 2.5 or 2.6V?

Regards.,
Saravana

leo5566

May 24, 2017
yes its working fine. voltage will rise only a slight amount when you rev the car. a multi meter wont be any good, as the sensor pulses the signal, which a multimeter is not designed for.

without a oscilloscope you cant do much. that being said, even though garages have checked the timing, if the timing chain is stretched, a manual timing check wont prove anything.

i have had many cases where cars give this fault, mainly peugeot and mazda. we would check the timing and find it to be ok, but upon replacing chain, everything returns to normal

get us some specific readings for compression check. PSI readings preferred. cold start and hot start. if they are fine, i would changed the timing chain.