Adjusted steering wheel then airbag light came on!!!

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
Hi all,
Adjusted my steering wheel today and the airbag light has come on! Is it advisable to just delete the error with vag-com (and see if it comes back) or should i take it straight to the garage? Just looking for advice as obvisouly it's potentialy dangerous?

Cheers guys!

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
Checked with vagcom and heres the code:

01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)

001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

Deleted the DTC and it hasn't come back as yet, should i be worried?

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
I think if you just delete it then it only cancels out the warning light hence not curing the actual underlying cause.Is it still in warrany mate? If so get it checked out at the dealers just to be sure its safe.
Just my opinion.Could be totally off track though.

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
Out of warranty tbh AL! If it comes back i'll get a garage to look at it i think! The MIL'll come back on if fault is still there i believe!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Ye but if it doesnt come back will you still have a nackered airbag ?
Risk it if u like but you only live once.I know I would get mine checked out but I'm still in warranty for another year.
Oh the joys of warranty's me thinks.

Last edited:

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
True AL true! I'm gonna get on the phone to midland VW now!

Just spoke to midland VW they've said not to worry unless it comes back (i.e. theres no serious fault if it's off) and occassionaly moving the steering wheel/seat too quickly can set off the MIL! Still a bit worried tho tbh!

Last edited:

nc30rider

Feb 8, 2009
Where ever the wife tells me
True AL true! I'm gonna get on the phone to midland VW now!

Just spoke to midland VW they've said not to worry unless it comes back (i.e. theres no serious fault if it's off) and occassionaly moving the steering wheel/seat too quickly can set off the MIL! Still a bit worried tho tbh!

Should be OK, I see this kind of issue all the time. Especially Renault front seatbelt pretensioners. Sometimes if you move the seat back and forth it puts the airbag light on.
The movement of the connectors is enough to cause a variation in the resistance of the circuit, thus causing the ECU to throw up a fault. If it happens again, get someone to open and close the connections a few times, then clear the faults. Should be fine after that.

It is only a real issue if it happens when you turn the steering wheel. This is probably an airbag slip-ring/clock-spring problem. Unfortunately that is a replacement only!

When the light is on, the only dangerous thing that will happen is the airbags/pretentioners will NOT deploy in an accident. The system is deactivated once the light comes on.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.