*IMPORTANT* A decline in forum conduct that needs addressing!

Wilko

Badge snob
I'm going to sound like Sherrin here, but the MKIV's community is suffering from the same thing. The age of ownership is coming down, and now where the forums used to be populated by car loving, generally intelligent (earlier Internet users etc) they are now used by any numptie with a car and a computer.
Some of the younger owners don't seem to have a grasp of either the English language, or sarcasm, and take any wind up or sarcastic comment as a personal attack on their manhood.
It's a real shame, but hard to change.

TonyK

Vodka?
Jul 16, 2006
Northampton
Mork, can't you get an add-in for the forum that automatically corrects the text speak e.g. if you type cud, when it posts it appears as could? Just stick the most popular text speak words in there and add to it when you need to (you being all the admins)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I think you should decide what is a minimum acceptable standard of post. Put up some examples in the rules. Refer transgressors to them. Then we can all have some fun taking the piss out of repeat offenders. :D

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
just finished work for the w/end (off to Pod tomorrow :)) and whilst eating my sandwich and drinking my coffee, decided to peruse this particular thread...
a few points come to mind..
Why SHOULD m0rk et al HAVE to edit peoples posts when they are too BLOODY LAZY to use the Queens English/ the chosen tongue of this country?

Self Moderation is something that should be done By EVERYONE (yes, I love to banter as much as if not more than most and can be deemed as 'nasty' occasionally but you ought to see what I type sometimes and then DONT send..) but also in the same breath, a lot of what is 'said' in here should be taken with a huge pinch of salt. :)

Mark Sheerins point IS valid.
I roam across many sites (some in different guises) and the standard on the whole has slipped in the last year or so.. possibly exascerbated by the 'availability ' of 2nd hand /cheaper cars to 'younger drivers' ..

And as for this site and its 'ethos'...
It really IS a shame that the 'greater public' hasn't a clue what goes into moderating or admin of a site.. or the knowledge that those few people that are 'mods/admin' do so FREELY not as a job or because they are a prisoner in their bedsit and its the only way to keep warm apart from wearing an anorak its because they , like the REST OF US , like to use the site as a place for info, fun etc,and dont want to see it going down the pan!

Coffee and sandwich finished!
:)

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
i fink this fred is wel borin, ppl wont b changin the way thay spel cus thay dnt no ne betr

It's a sign of the times I think, you either implement draconian measures which they'll probably ignore/wont be bothered about or carry on as you are.

Plus theres a fine line between people who have genuine dificulties and those who are plain lazy.

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
I'm really getting frustrated with the txt spkers now

It ranges from:

2 = to
u = you
cud = could
now = know

I mean, how hard is it to write in english? I mean we've got no end of members who's 1st language isn't english and they put 'you' to shame.

I can't decide on the way forward... should I just edit their posts, or ritually take the piss?

I fink u should take da piss innit!:ban:

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Put all the txt spk in the swear filter, making them look foolish. On the forum I moderate on, I suggested we put a few really irritating wrong spellings (suprise, sponser) into the swear filter, as they were coming up all the time. We found it funny anyway, some of the younger users didn't. They thought it was discrimination. :rolleyes:

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
The good thing about here, is that the editing time on posts seems to be unlimited, so someone could use txt spk, see it all bleeped out, think "that makes me look a right idiot" and then go back to edit it and make it into proper English.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
My pet hate is people who post about things in txt spk about something they could have found out about in seconds if they used the search feature.

I'm going to start reporting more posts instead of taking the piss and being really blunt with new members or people who do the above.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.