Removing steering wheel and airbag

qwert

Jan 13, 2008
Ok, I've got the tools and a guide. Just after any pointers or tips from people who have done this before. Keep getting told the airbag light will come on once its reconnected, or that it will blow up in my face, and does the fuse need to come out as well? Ta

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
people reckon, note people not me as I have not done it. that once the power is disconnected then its not possible for it to go off, so its probably fair to assume that long as you dont damage it when the battery is disconnected then it can be changed relatively easily. The airbag looks reasonably simple to change anyway

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Disconnect the battery and leave it for 30mins before playing with the airbag, it will give it a chance to power down. This will prevent ignition or warning lights. Ensure you have connected it all back up before reconnecting the battery aswell.

When removing the steering wheel make a note of the position the locking nut is at so you can get the correct torgue if you dont know the accurate figure or dont have a torque wrentch. Also make a mark on the nut with a permanent marker so you know howmany times it has been off. The locktight is good for 5 removals before you need a new bolt. Finaly, ensure you know the position of the wheel in relation to the shaft so you can replace it correctly. Most have a mark on them, but make one if you need to.

qwert

Jan 13, 2008
cheers chaps, fitting cruise so will let you know how it goes.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
the airbag shouldn't go off even with the battery connected...it's a safety precaution that is undertaken to prevent the unlikely event from happening

my local mechanic works daily with airbags and has never turned the battery off, as long as the ignition is off you'll be ok

as for the light coming on, this is not the case unless you fit a new airbag with a different resistance rating (or if there is a fault obviously)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.