Xenon Head light polishing

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Morning All,

Is there anyone who polishes their own head lights, I have Xenon headlights on my MK2 FL and I'm unsure if my headlights have cracks, Burn or just caked in rubbish and need of a good clean...

The main dirt seems to be in the Xenon glare so one leans more towards burn or micro cracks...

Anyone had the same sort of issue with Xenons?

I'm hoping it's not a new unit as it's annoying me when it's not clean lol

I have some of this on order and I have a drill powered buffer type thing...

s-l1600.jpg

Any help would be great

Cheers

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Anyone got any ideas/thoughts before I get stuff ordered to get them polished myself?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Driving - SEAT Leon Mk2 Cupra R 2010
Previous Car - SEAT Leon Mk2 FR 2007

T-Bull

Jun 12, 2016
Girvan
Doesn’t look that bad tbf. I’m not sure about the paste you have above but there are a few kits readily available to restore headlights, sure I seen 3 yesterday in Halfords. I’d be inclined to give one of them ago if the paste option you have doesn’t work out. Try it first tho as you’ve already bought it. I’m looking to do mine at some point but I need to remove the film first . Let me know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Mine look similar to yours - I've given the outside a quick wet sand and polish (have done several headlights using this method and had amazing results) and mine didn't change much tbh so I was thinking it could be on the inside possibly.

I use wet sand + poorboys SSR on my DA polisher when I've done any, they come up a treat usually very similar to the post OP has linked to on DW.

Last edited:

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Mine look similar to yours - I've given the outside a quick wet sand and polish (have done several headlights using this method and had amazing results) and mine didn't change much tbh so I was thinking it could be on the inside possibly.

I use wet sand + poorboys SSR on my DA polisher when I've done any, they come up a treat usually very similar to the post OP has linked to on DW.
Thanks for the info buddy, it does look like it's the inside maybe the heat from the bulb... I'll give it a go and see what's what... I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers

Reactions: Tees_FR

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
My cupra is also like this and i used the k2 on it to not much affect

One way i prevented it getting worse is turning off my headlamps as daytime runners

forged engine,revo intake,3" TBE r tech stage 2 -323bhp 333ftlb build thead: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=440348
I've just got led drls so that might help... I had a closer look and it definitely looks like it's on the inside...

Cheers for your reply

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Morning All,

Is there anyone who polishes their own head lights, I have Xenon headlights on my MK2 FL and I'm unsure if my headlights have cracks, Burn or just caked in rubbish and need of a good clean...

The main dirt seems to be in the Xenon glare so one leans more towards burn or micro cracks...

Anyone had the same sort of issue with Xenons?

I'm hoping it's not a new unit as it's annoying me when it's not clean lol

I have some of this on order and I have a drill powered buffer type thing...

s-l1600.jpg

Any help would be great

Cheers
Mines the same, definitely on the inside. Imagine you could take the housing apart and get inside to correct it but...seems like a lot of work.

I'll live with it on mine as it's not bothering me enough for me to spend money fixing.

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Ive used a 3 stage polishing compund on bad headlights before. Just apply and rub like hell! Corse to fine. Should sort the outside.

indyr

May 2, 2011
Hi All,

I know this thread isn't about the LCR MK2 Xenon's themselves but more so about restoration, however I just wanted to ask about the actual lights...

Since I have been driving around in newer cars with LED headlamps etc, I find when driving the LCR MK2 the headlamps are so weak and so bad in comparison to modern cars.

What can be done and what are the upgrade options (if any) for these lamps, I am by no means an lighting expert but can new bulbs be fitted or does it require new lamps and assembly to bring these aging lights up to date?

I really want to get more vision and distance covered with the lights when driving on some unlit roads... One thing I do love is when you turn them on, its like a boot-up sequence and they go blue for a moment, move about and then auto-adjust going to a white colour!

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Do you have halogen or Xenon lights?

Best option for the halogen lights are some Osram nightbreaker bulbs or similar, or fit a set of Xenon lights if you've got the money.

indyr

May 2, 2011
Hi R3k1355,

Mine look the same as the ones in jimbobcook's picture - where it is zoomed into the passenger headlamp. Is there any easy way to tell, I have a snap of the headlamp when I had to remove the front bumper...

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Not that it'll help ... but I'll have to take a loo
The light lenses or the lights themselves? I believe the lights in his picture are Xenon units so already the brighter type.

Yeah, they are xenon. Halogens look like this (and have a reflector):
upload_2019-12-9_12-55-1.png

indyr

May 2, 2011
Thanks @R3k1355 and @Legojon - mine are Xenon's then.... I also have the "L" or flick style rear light clusters too.

So with the Xenon option, is there a way to get these lamps more power or a stronger beam, can the be upgraded or am I stuck with what I have?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The other telltale sign for xenons is the cutout underneath for the washers to pop out.
upload_2019-12-9_15-40-7.png

I've never really had any problem with the brightness, they light up the road for about 100+ meters. Trub is, what happens over time is the lens can go cloudy. Which will reduce the brightness, but not a lot you can do about that without spending serious money.

New:
4rHSkzo.jpg

Old:
b8L5Pl4.jpg

So long as the lens isn't cloudy, I'd check the exterior plastics and see if they need a polish.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.