Engine management light - ibiza 2002, petrol 1.2

monkey73

Hi all,

I've searched the forums and as I dont have a Vag Com and no warranty - just need a bit of extra help/advice before I take it to the garage (or not).....

Have a 52 plate 1.2 petrol ibiza with no mods and the engine management light came on yesterday when I set off for work.

The engine sort of stuggles/shudders when it's just idling (like when stuck at lights etc) and stalls unless I give the accelorator a bit of a push. The engine light flashes slightly before staying on constantly again.
Then when I drive off it shudders slightly again, before being fine also sometimes shudders slightly if I try accelerating hard.

Other than that seems to be fine, no fumes, revs look ok and no drop in speed.

From what I've read I gather it's prob the spark plugs / coil packs... what do you think?

If so are they easy to replace myself? Can I just get them from Halfrauds? Is it expensive?
Can I call my breakdown service to do it (even though the car still drives)?

Will I be ok driving it, till it get's fixed???

I know I should try and get someone to do a diagnostic on it etc. but would like to try and do something myself first if possible.

Sorry for the essay, but I'm getting a bit fed up with the car at the mo - just had to replace the drivers side window modulator today for the 2nd time !
Huge thanks.

Robb.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I know I should try and get someone to do a diagnostic on it etc. but would like to try and do something myself first if possible.

You know you're right then! if you can, get it scanned - it'll save you guessing all the while otherwise

monkey73

I know, I know....

I was just wondering wether it was worth a try.....

Plus it's more a case of how safe am I driving it ?? I'm taking it very easy and not pushing it.

Had a look under the bonnet today and all seems fine, belt's ok etc. Started it up and starts off alright but a minute later if you leave it running it splutters a bit, shudders and then stops.....

:(

Hoping to get it into a garage on Monday

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Yellow light = OK to limp somewhere
Red light = stop now, drive no more

I don't think there's one that says "go on, you can drive it to the pub & it'll be OK" sadly, so I'd lay it up until you take it to the (nearby?) garage

monkey73

Cheers Mork.

Just leaving it where it is at the mo, then will hopefully be ok for me to get to work/the garage on Monday.

Live in Chester, Work in Liverpool (about 50 min drive!) so keeping my fingers crossed - they can fit me in and get it done the same day.

Thanks again.

monkey73

Ok - Back from the garage (AlexLawrie Skoda) nothing fixed, as they say the stealer have to do it !!???

They did a diagnostic quite cheap though and cleaned my car (!!) seems there's two probs:

EGR - control difference - sporadic
Clylinder 2 Misfire - sporadic

They also said I needed a software update from Seat ??!

Called Seat in Warrington (IMG) and they can't get me in till 15th May !!!

Any ideas if I can do this myself? I'm guessing the coil packs would be fine - but where to get them?Is there a specific product code? and anyone know of anywhere else I could go to get them done ?

Cheers.

Cookster

Hi, I bought my Ibiza 3 days ago and the engine light came on today.

Same as you, shudders when idle etc.

Just wondering how you got on in the end?

Got a warranty but wasn't bought from a Seat dealer.

Cheers

leonbeastmk1

hello workin in a seat dealership myself i kno u can get the coilpacks at your nearest seat dealership and they are easy to fit. The EGR vavle itself is easy to fit aswell but both faults will have to be earased by the dealer aswell as the software update cheers

ugly

Hi i read that you work for a seat dealership is it possible for you to tell me how i can get the black engine cover off my seat ibiza se 1.4 2003 model so i can replace the spark plugs as i to have a misfire?
Thanks for your help.

leonbeastmk1

Answer to engine cover trim

I'm sure on those models they have a big square cover that cover the whole engine,if so then yes it's possible to remove. The trim itself is held on by rubber plunger bits so all you have to do is lift it of, it will feel tight to begin with but it will pop out
cheers

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise