Ibiza cupra TDI - whine increased with revs

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Kidderminster West Midlands
Live in kidderminster now. Yeah did pay too much TBf. Didn't want to cheap it though and it was very convenient for me. Suppose with the car jacked up and running I will be able to hear if it's the turbo hopefully. Don't always trust garages to diagnose correctly. Engine running you can hear the noise more clearly crouching down with ear to drivers side wheel.

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Cupra has that silly aux belt tension pulley. My first one died at 40k miles but the second one is still going at 100k (but belt needs replaced). When it goes it allows the pulley to twist and the aux belt tries to run off which does make a noise. Either way take it off and have a listen.. sometimes it is just a tie wrap or something rubbing on belts/pulleys.

The other issue I have had is the wrong tension on cam belts on other cars; they whine when too tight or slap (not your problem) is too loose. 70k is around cam belt time.

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Hey mgrays, thanks for the advice. I'm pretty rubbish when it comes to belts. How many is on the car?. Timing belt, aircon and alternator belt?. Timing belt was changed before buying the car at 57,000 miles. Any quick checks possible like spraying a bit of wd40? Heard some people say that before

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Changed the oil today. Due to the noise of the engine while underneath the car I generally couldn't tell if it is coming from the turbo. Noise is pretty loud though when you increase the revs. Fearing the worst now and wondering what is my best and cheapest option if the turbo goes bang?

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Update: Took the car out and can confirm the following.

Car peak boosts at 29/30 PSI and slowly tails off to now lower than 25 PSI up to the redline - Normal for a remapped cupra tdi?

Car only makes the whine noisy at tickover or going very slowly, it does not make it once on the move or accelerating.

Finally I have a video of the noise and of the car smoking on idle (want opinions if its normal to smoke like this with a decat)

How do I upload videos on here?

many thanks

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Hi all, quick update on this: decided to have the turbo repaired before it went bang. 4 weeks later and £664 it's been repaired by turbo dynamics and refitted. Smoke and noise has gone now. Car peak boosts at 26/27 psi and quickly tails off. Is that ok for a remapped cupra TDI or is that still spiking to high? Don't want the new turbo going . Thanks

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
The nightmare continues! less than 1,500 miles \3 months since the turbo recon and the car has developed a loud screech sound which comes at around 2,000 revs and then goes completely goes. Removing the vac hose to the turbo stops the noise (pinpointing turbo) It sounds like metal on metal from within the turbo. My garage wont touch it again (useless) and turbo dynamics wont help me until the turbo reaches their doorstep to be checked over.

Long story short, anyone local to Kidderminster that has the knowledge and skill to remove and refit the turbo for cash?

Does anyone know any amazing mobile mechanics who could help?

I am in complete disbelief this is happening again so soon and have no idea why.

can anyone please help me?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.