Fifth Gear Review of new Ibiza

CHR15-53AT

I didnt read the whole thing but I got the jist, As far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with ride comfort or handling, everything inside looked good and felt good, I got a run out in a 1.4 Sport on 17Inch Wheels and i thought it was quieter and possibly more comfortable than the current one. The only thing I noticed was that when i "put the foot down" it seemed a little slow to respond ... but i put this down to 2things 1 its a new car with only 667 miles on it, and 2 I had 3 Passengers weighing me down.

Poverty

Yes the 1.4 likes to hesitate. Its an annoying attribute as it means unless you perfect your launches your always playing catchup when racing the enemy such as the corsa and fiesta.

SeatLion

May 16, 2005
There is a review of the Mk5 Ibiza on Fifth Gear's website. They rate it as 'average' and it is the first review I have seen which criticises the ride comfort and handling.

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?lnk=201&make=Seat&mk=&model=1213&x=14&y=11

I suppose they all have to say something different to justify their existence.

Comparison between the Mk5 Ibiza, Mazda 2, Opel Corsa and Renault Clio on Autobild 31/2008 (German edition). The new Ibiza wins... :whistle:

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Comparison between the Mk5 Ibiza, Mazda 2, Opel Corsa and Renault Clio on Autobild 31/2008 (German edition). The new Ibiza wins... :whistle:
Isn't Autobild part of the same group as Autoexpress? They tested the same four cars and placed them in the order: 1st Clio, 2nd Mazda2, 3rd Ibiza, 4th Corsa.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/224925/seat_ibiza_vs_rivals.html

Remember they are just journalists, not driving gods. It doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2007
Newark
Handling is very good, alot more smoother than the old one. I think it just down to person to person some people love some people hate it.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
The only review I can remember reading previously was Clarkson in the Sun the other Saturday. He just said 'I drove the new Ibiza the other day and it was crap'.

At least he didn't beat about the bush!!!!

Personally I think all of the superminis are much of a muchness and the Beezer is as good as any. Having said that I've not seen one in the flesh yet and as I need a 5 door car I don't think the Cupra is going to be for me.

Timm

Feb 25, 2008
Notts
to me it just feels really heavy everyting else with it is fine apart from that, i'm with cannonman different drving styles with each person

Mar 8, 2007
I saw one on the road the other day for the first time.

Now on the TV advert they look pretty slick.

But in real life they look terrible.

Poverty

The new chassis is bound to feel brilliant with such crap engines on board. Stick a 1.9 or 2.0 diesel in and we'll see how it copes then.

lol you cannot be serious. Some of the best handling cars in the world do with meagre power such as 130bhp.

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
lol you cannot be serious. Some of the best handling cars in the world do with meagre power such as 130bhp.

I was refering to the weight rather than power. I wouldn't consider my FR TDI to be amongst the best handling cars in the world! SEAT are going to have to do something pretty impressive to deal with a 1.9 (it's sure to go in given the povvy engine spec at present) so that is drives as well as the 'lightweight' petrols.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Problem with VAG cars is they don't seem to soften up the shopping carts such as the polo and small engined ibiza's, and these are the ones the journalists will be seeing first. So your getting a 1.4 city car with a jarring ride...... i'd probably say its crap too.

I dont like the MK5 i think it looks like a hyundai accent.

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
I saw one in Citrus "piss-yella" yesterday driving along. No matter how good it might be to drive etc, it's bloody awful features are the first thing you'd see in the morning after you step out of the front door. How is that supposed to put you in a good mood for the rest of the day?

tdi sport

Apr 13, 2008
yeah honestly the front end is real nice but you look at the back all i see is yaris interbred with mazda 2 really terrible like it got a good kick in the rear

ee01akk

Yes the 1.4 likes to hesitate. Its an annoying attribute as it means unless you perfect your launches your always playing catchup when racing the enemy such as the corsa and fiesta.

I drive a 1.8 Corsa which goes like a rocket with 130 bhp (unmodified) but the handling is so bad it scares the pants off me. I would go for the Ibiza over my Corsa anyday over reliability, build quality and decent performance.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I drive a 1.8 Corsa which goes like a rocket with 130 bhp (unmodified) but the handling is so bad it scares the pants off me. I would go for the Ibiza over my Corsa anyday over reliability, build quality and decent performance.

I kinda agree i got in a new corsa thinking it looked alright and had a bit of purpose when i worked at vauxhall. SXI suggesting sportyness. The engine was gutless, it felt lower quality than the corsa it replaced and handling was er well terrifying!

Having said that they are cheap compared to others and come with some good deals like free insurance.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.