the mac music mobile

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
so here goes nothing rather than fill up others threads with my mindless ramblings here are a few bits i have done to my 06 2.0 tdi sport dsg altea

more pix to come

firstly the interior light which only worked when i felt like it and then only on one side

SAM_2304.jpg

straight swap for one from a mk6 polo

SAM_2389 by macmusic, on Flickr

next as befits my nick here the music

the head unit is as we know not the best so thanks to dave @ sere a double din surround was got and out cam the old & in with the new

SAM_2382 by macmusic, on Flickr

kenwood double din with bluetooth , ipod connection & steering wheel connection

SAM_2386 by macmusic, on Flickr

SAM_2417 by
SAM_2412 by macmusic, on Flickr

tweeter is a lot harder , having heard the standard set up and seen the speaker placement in the mrs's blue motion i got busy with the hole cutter on the A pillars

SAM_2414 by macmusic, on Flickr>

SAM_2413 by macmusic, on Flickr

sorted ! more pix to come as i do more

MM

willc

Mar 2, 2011
Looks good!

I have a few questions.

What is the model of the Kenwood unit? Does it integrate with the steering controls and does the factory Bluetooth and AC still work?

Are those Polyglass Focals and how do they sound?

Thanks.

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
hi ya

kenwood ddx5022 with the add on blue tooth module no factory fit on mine , i have the connects2 box and yes the steering wheel controls work

focals are access 16.5 i think ! cheaper model esp as i got em out of cashconverters for £ 40 !

amp is a genesis profile 4 ultra running the focals & the head unit running the stocks in the rear doors , sub box to be built next week or so , will run a pair of boston accoustics 10 inch pro speakers i happen to have lying around doing nothing
hows that ?

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
ok part 3

having done a few sums i realised the Bostons weren't going to fit by about a cm:headhurt:

so plan b evolved

a pioneer 12 inch low profile sub to the rescue

the sub is only 8.2 cm deep but the height under the false floor is 14 cm
so using 15 mm mdf i made the box 11cm high to leave a gap for speaker movement and come out at .7 of a cubic foot

SAM_2660 by macmusic, on Flickr

filled the box with loads of acoustic wadding

SAM_2663 by macmusic, on Flickr

and in it went

SAM_2666 by macmusic, on Flickr
with thanks to dave at sere for the false floor as mine didnt come with the floor you wouldn't know the box was it was there

SAM_2664 by macmusic, on Flickr
will sand the edges & carpet it when i have time and if it sounds ok

MM

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
Some great mods so far
What's next then ??

good question , going to let the summer come and go & keep an eye on fleabay in case anything comes along , the box will need some carpet at some point i guess & maybe do something with the rear door speakers

glad you like it aaron

MM

Last edited:

dp-parks

Hi Mac, followed your redirect from Tell's speaker project sticky. I had seen this thread and was very tempted to follow your lead and change to a Kenwood HU.
Instead, got an xcarlink sd interface - 300+ songs on a 2gb card and it all integrates with the factory HU. The hu thinks it has a 6 disc changer attached (with up to 99 tracks per disc).
Also, changed the front speakers to Alpines (on sale in Halfords) - nice clean sound but slightly (and only slightly) lacking a bit of bass.
Unfortunately, a 'under floor boot sub' will not fit in my freetrack as the underfloor area is taken up largely by the haldex gubbins and spare - just some room for bits & bobs around the spare.
Thinking of changing the rear doors to the Alpines - but need to see how much money is left at the end of this month:redface:
Like the front tweeter mod - very brave. Did you have any airbag trouble after fitting?

Dar

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
Hi dp

sorry not to answer straight away been busy after xmas

you may be able to get a small box with an 8 inch pioneer inside the spare wheel , this is just an idea so dont quote me , but i know they will work in impossible small boxes , another option would be to get a box made to fit into one of the pockets either side of the boot

the tweeter mod , was much easier than pulling both door and window winder mechs out , i took one of the A pillar covers out to have a look see first , the airbags are at the top so the tweeter is below all the gubbins for that

MM

Joens

Jan 18, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
dunno havnt seen inside the boot of a leon , but i dont think so , does it have the rails down the sides or the support lugs across the back ?

i guess if no one answers dave at sere motors is worth a call

MM

Doubt anyone has tried to fit one as leon never came with one. Altough the both side of boot has the fixings (as in bolt holes for the side fixing) for the oem false floor. Thats why im curious to get one. VAG cars that has false floow are Altea,Yeti,Golf+,Octavia,SuperB and Golf 5/6 estate for sure. Just trying to find out which one could fit Leon.

Would you be kind enough and measure the lenght+width of the false floor and also measurements of the fixings that bolt to the both sides of the boot.

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
Doubt anyone has tried to fit one as leon never came with one. Altough the both side of boot has the fixings (as in bolt holes for the side fixing) for the oem false floor. Thats why im curious to get one. VAG cars that has false floow are Altea,Yeti,Golf+,Octavia,SuperB and Golf 5/6 estate for sure. Just trying to find out which one could fit Leon.

Would you be kind enough and measure the lenght+width of the false floor and also measurements of the fixings that bolt to the both sides of the boot.

ok rains stopped here are some of the measurements

width 102 cm

side depth 65cm ( against wall arch)

max depth 73 cm ( back of seat to lock)

the rails run full length either side , i hope that helps & it sits about 15-16 cm from the spare wheel carpet

MM

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise