Piston Rings

CyborgCupraJQ

Boca Inside*
Dec 28, 2010
Oporto, Portugal
Everyone who had their piston rings replaced could post here the date when it happend and the part number?

Mine's as follow:

Date:
17/01/2012

TPIs:
2020732/3 - Oil consumption tests

2026932/2 - Piston Rings Replacement - Part Number: 03C 198 151 M

I ask this because a new part number is avaiable: 03C 198 151 Q, and I want to know if some1 got this new PN or the old one.

Thank you!

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
I dont get any of that info buy i can tell you i have had a new engine done in January, however im conversing with SEAT UK atm as what has happened is unacceptable for a car that is only a year old imo. Guy at seat also said it is a solid engine just a few bad eggs. Which kinda annoys me as im not aware of one person with a 1.4tsi 180ps who hasn't had a problem !

Last edited:

figolovechild

Leon FR CR 170TDI
Sep 12, 2011
Glenrothes
I just had mine changed due to high oil consumption. Got the car back on Tuesday after a week in the garage. I don't have any of the info you ask for as I didn't get any paperwork when I got the car back. Didn't really care for it to be honest.

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
I get oil usage every now and again. Dont think I have topped up since january ish and that is probably a fair few thousand miles. It takes me by surprise dropping suddenly. Strange ...... But also happy about it.

G3K

3 points and counting...
Aug 14, 2010
Hatfield, Herts
Check my oil today and it wasn't even registering on the dipstick

Only had it serviced a couple of months ago

Taken a record of the miles after filling it up and will see how many miles before it gets low again. Currently on 12k miles

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
Check my oil today and it wasn't even registering on the dipstick

Only had it serviced a couple of months ago

Taken a record of the miles after filling it up and will see how many miles before it gets low again. Currently on 12k miles

mate get to seat straight away, they will top your oil up and give it 500 miles and then go back and they will see if they can fix it. Honestly don't waste money on oil for this car dealers will fill it for free.

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
So far I have had a new block and now the head as this was warped as well. Back in at the dealers should be getting it back sometime this week again.

HAIRWEGO

NICK...
Jan 18, 2010
Poole, Dorset.
mate get to seat straight away, they will top your oil up and give it 500 miles and then go back and they will see if they can fix it. Honestly don't waste money on oil for this car dealers will fill it for free.
not mine they did not... had to pay for Consumption test, £180.... now have to run for 600 miles dead.. take back to be measured. if it dont pass, i get money back !!!

figolovechild

Leon FR CR 170TDI
Sep 12, 2011
Glenrothes
So you paid for a consumption test yet you still have to run it for 600 miles??? Really don't get that one. I didn't have to do that. The garage took my car for a couple of days and ran it them selves. Maybe put 60 miles on it. They said they would weigh the car to see how much oil was used. Ended up with new rings in the end.

Andy_Cup

Jul 5, 2011
Cheshire
When I had mine done they said that if it was to fail the consumption test then i'd be expected to pay, I said it was ridiculous and the tech agreed but that had come from above, would I of paid if it failed? That's a different matter.

CyborgCupraJQ

Boca Inside*
Dec 28, 2010
Oporto, Portugal
P.S: @Ibizaracebrake: I also read the comment on your Youtube account.

"Today my vw dealer says this: "VW now provide a new type of piston rings with a new type of piston, the new piston are forged and not printed such as the old type"

Also from another forum:

As known, from January 10th is avaiable a different piston ring:

03C 198 151 M The old one >>09.01.2012
Composto da:
Segmento Sup. 76,5x1,2
Segmento Inf. 76,5x1,2
Anello Raschiaolio 76,5X1,9

03C 198 151 Q New one from 10.01.2012>>
Composto da:
Segmento Sup. 76,5x1,2
Segmento Inf. 76,5x1,2
Anello Raschiaolio 76,5X2

Notice that the scraper ring is increased of 0.1mm

Will be the solution???

I have another new about the new piston rings code: it seems that those rings must be combined only with new pistons that are completely different from the stock ones.
The old are stamped, the new are forged...

So the part number that I mentioned above should be used with the new pistons? Maybe that's why they fitted the old piston rings on my car instead of the new ones to avoid changing the pistons as well. What about the rods?

We need more info on this matter!!!

Regards.

Last edited:

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
Mine is going tomorrow for the service department to fill up my oil and take a mileage..

they then want me to run the car till the oil light comes on and take another reading.

I've got a second opinion from a technical guy at a VW garage and he says this doesn't sound right at all - I shouldn't be running my car down to the light.

What options do I have if the local seat garage refuse to do any other method - they will claim this is what they had to do based on instructions from Seat. but it seems everyone is doing different things?

From my understanding of reading the above posts, the scraper inside the engine isn't big enough which is why oil is being burnt. This needs to be changed.

My problem is, how does a normal civilian customer with no in depth technical car knowledge convince my local dealer to just get it sorted and get on with it, instead of faffing around.

The dealer I got my car from is too far to go to and from with these problems, as are all other dealers.

Please advise

CyborgCupraJQ

Boca Inside*
Dec 28, 2010
Oporto, Portugal
Mine is going tomorrow for the service department to fill up my oil and take a mileage..

they then want me to run the car till the oil light comes on and take another reading.

I've got a second opinion from a technical guy at a VW garage and he says this doesn't sound right at all - I shouldn't be running my car down to the light.

What options do I have if the local seat garage refuse to do any other method - they will claim this is what they had to do based on instructions from Seat. but it seems everyone is doing different things?

From my understanding of reading the above posts, the scraper inside the engine isn't big enough which is why oil is being burnt. This needs to be changed.

My problem is, how does a normal civilian customer with no in depth technical car knowledge convince my local dealer to just get it sorted and get on with it, instead of faffing around.

The dealer I got my car from is too far to go to and from with these problems, as are all other dealers.

Please advise

Show them the TPI numbers above and ask him to show it to you. Then you'll know what they recommend the dealer to do.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise