Alternator fault help !

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hello all

I'm currently getting the following fault logging in my engine module:

17911 - Load signal from Alternator Term. DF: Implausible signal

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what might be causing this problem ?
My knowledge of how alternators work is a bit limited...

Fault occurs at random whilst driving, every day. Warning light (actually the ESP light) comes on, but is cleared by an engine/ignition restart (for a while).
Have checked connections to the alternator; they look OK - main charge cable seems pretty secure, the other two wires connect via a 2-pin connector which I've removed & checked, looks fine.

Niall

Aug 6, 2003
www.testrake.com
Lee,

It could be something like a voltage regulator inside the Alternator that is worn out. On older models golf these were combined with the brushes thus, when they wore out it didn't charge properly and gave a red light on the dash.

Maybe M0rk can help you along a bit more...

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
EddyH also had this fault on his Ibiza 130 last time I spoke to him. I looked into it and our manuals say its a faulty alternator.

The DFM wire is the signal wire to the dash and engine ECU.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Cheers techie...do you know if the complete unit needs changing, or just the regulator ?

Looking at the voltmeter, everything seems normal - a steady 14v when the engine's running.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Its not a fault with the output of the alternator as far as I know. Its the part that handles the DMF signal (the two wires in the plug). This signal is what puts the alternator light out on the dash and signals the ECU.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Update...
As per post #15 in this thread, the fault was down to a broken wire in front of the gearbox. Just fixed it tonight and I now have full time ESP again :)

Goodspeed®

muddyboots said:
Update...
As per post #15 in this thread, the fault was down to a broken wire in front of the gearbox. Just fixed it tonight and I now have full time ESP again :)

Hello. I have a friend that have the same error of about your car. This cable (broken wire) is plugged on alternator ?

Best regards,

Gonçalo Pinelo

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hi

I have replied to your email also, but in case you don't see it...

The alternator wires leave the alternator, pass down the front of the engine, and across the front of the gearbox. I think there are two connectors mounted on a metal bracket on the front of the gearbox. On my car, one of the wires had broken at the connector.

It is difficult to see from above, it is best to work from underneath the engine.

When I was looking into this a while ago, Techie (a Skoda master technician) said he'd seen the same problem on Fabia TDIs also.

The connectors in the loom only seem to be there to aid assembly on the production line, there is no need for them - so to avoid future problems I removed the connector, soldered the 2 wires and sleeved them in heatshrink (Techie also suggested I do this too).

Hope this helps !

Lee

dontnoanything

dontnoanything
Jul 19, 2005
gondor
this is becoming a regular fault on ibizas + the reverse light wiring and the odd lambda probe wiring all at the front of the gearbox, wiring looms to tight.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yep, had an update from the person who posted above, they found the same broken wire I had.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.