Arosa intermittent starting problem.

LausAROSA

Hi all my girlfriends arosa 1.0 has a starting issue. The battery appears to go flat if left undriven for a day or so. When she was doing more miles the problem wasn't as bad. However now she's not doing any motorway driving the problem is getting progressively worse. When she was driving on the motorway 2-3 times a week it seemed to start pretty much every time.

It's been to the garage repeatedly however they can't find an issue.

I'm thinking it must be a battery drain however the fact the issue disappears when more miles are covered is throwing me.

Any ideas?

ianswebb

Have you tried putting a voltmeter across the battery to make sure its recieving a charge? The alternator on mine doesnt kick in until I breach 2k revs.

Ian

Deleted member 42671

Hi there, do you have an automatic? If so this may help. I too was having intermittent starting problems, my local garage couldn't find the fault, so I got the inhibitor changed in the hope it would help, but no. The starter motor followed but didn't help at all, in fact the starting issues seemed to get worse.
A chap who owns a garage/workshop a few miles away was recommended as being good at his job, reliable and cheap, so we took my Arosa to the 'hospital' once again on a last ditch attempt to sort it out once and for all. Dropped it off first thing in the morning and got a call a couple of hours later saying that the car was ready.
All it took was an alan key, some WD40 and £20! The reason was that the button you press on the gear lever to put the car in drive or park etc, wasn't springing out properly, even if it seemed to spring out, it only took half a centimeter and the car wouldn't start. The WD40 took care of that. That can be done at home, you take off the lever's plastic handle with the alan key, spray with WD40 and replace the handle. My Arosa's been starting perfectly ever since (that was 2 months ago)...
A bit long-winded but hope it helps.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.