Key just stopped working..

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
I've a two button non flip key and a solid no button key for my face lift 02 lc. I unlocked the car drove home and when I went to lock the car the remote function doesn't work the central locking works with key in lock, and the car starts but doesn't remote lock/unlock. The led initially didn't flash but after a fiddle about and a good look through the forum it now does.... I cannot get it to work remotely though is she toast? Or am I missing something obvious?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
I've bought a new battery now so will try it thanks

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
So I've put a new battery in and cleaned up the key, led now works tried the sync method you've shown me and no joy it just triggers the alarm sometimes.... Do I need a new key? Or is there a knack to syncing the *******!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
You need the original spare key, with the transponder inside to do it. The fact that the alarm is going off would make me think that maybe the one you have is just a spare someone has had cut and it hasn't got the needed transponder inside.

It could be that the module inside the drivers door has failed, sometime that causes the key not to work..... It's hard to say really. The best bet is to get it scanned with VCDS as that can read fault codes from the alarm and central locking.

Link to VCDS here http://www.ross-tech.com/

And UK distributor of the latest version. https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23.html (You will need a windows 7, or later, laptop to run it)

Last edited:

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
These are the keys I have they look pretty 'original' especially the remote one! It may well just be me doing it incorrectly as the key disables the immobiliser etc
54ac437ed6ae5d329153fef82c6a870a.jpg

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I would guess that the remote part is failing, changing the battery would normally solve the problem and wouldn't need the remote to be re-synced. I just had the same thing happen where I suspected the battery was going flat even though the led would illuminate, after changing the battery it still wouldn't work. I got a replacement on ebay and had to remove the old fob in VAG-COM and then add the new fob.
If you don't have access to VAG-COM/VCDS then your cheapest option may be to send off the remote fob for repair.

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
I think Im going to get a mobile guy to come out and have a look at sorting it, I wouldn't mind two remote keys anyway it's annoying as the alarm sensor in the lock mech doesn't always deactivate manually so I've been caught lobbing the dog in the back a couple of times with the alarm going nuts!

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
In an annoying turn of events the key is apparently sending a good signal so the problem lies elsewhere, I can't get the key to resink so where do I start looking?

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
There is a process to add a key using the master key, someone has posted the process on the forum, but I don't think it can be removed without VAG-COM/VCDS. When my fob stopped working I used VAG-COM to remove the fob from the ECU (Block 45 Cent conv) and then added the new one. If you are convinced that your fob works properly then it would be the same process of removing and then re-adding the fob.

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
There is a process to add a key using the master key, someone has posted the process on the forum, but I don't think it can be removed without VAG-COM/VCDS. When my fob stopped working I used VAG-COM to remove the fob from the ECU (Block 45 Cent conv) and then added the new one. If you are convinced that your fob works properly then it would be the same process of removing and then re-adding the fob.
The keys apparently sending a strong signal... I'll call tc @ copthorne today see if they can work It out ;/

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
That is definitely the original second key. That code on it, the bottom part, that's the PIN that you will need if adding a new key with vcds.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.