DSG reliability

AmitDrive

Aug 30, 2017
Hello, in Israel the new Ibiza will arrive next week. Now I really want to buy this car but the opinion in israel about the DSG's reliability is really bad. I didn't find a lot of information in israel about the new Ibiza gear, so i went to here, hope this is where i can find the best answers. Another thing that sucks me that its only 2 year warranty that maybe tell something about the car's reliability. So I really would like you to tell me what do you think about the car's reliability and especially the DSG gear. Have a good day :rofl:

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
I would assume that, due to its complexity, DSG is inherently less reliable than manual and definitely more expensive to fix.
However I've not heard anything to suggest that DSG is any less reliable than auto offerings from other manufacturers.
The DSG fans on this forum seem very happy with it especially for traffic jams or dodgy knees.
Personally I have a very strong preference for manual because using the clutch is not a chore for me.
If you particularly want or need DSG then I wouldn't discourage you but I would assume your local conditions probably have a greater influence on your choices than my experience of driving in the UK.
Lastly I don't expect I'll attract much criticism for commending your decision to join the forum which has a healthy mix of sense and silliness (that'll mostly be me) and bootloads of enthusiasm. :snack:

Last edited:

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Friend of mine has a 2008 Leon DSG on 130k, other friends run a TTRS DSG on 80k, my Leon's on 75k and I know of a 6 year old Ibiza DSG Mk.5 on 20k all so far without any problems..

ConnorDuff

Jan 3, 2018
From personal experience I've not seen many problems with dsg. But I do live in a area that is very flat. Have heard that places with more hills is where the dsg can run into more problems. I can't say I would be put off though.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I've got (possibly the identical engine + gearbox) on 2016 Ibiza 1.0 EcoTSI DSG, no issues. When I put in good fuel Eg...97 RON, it vibrates less from standstill, but that's more the engine that gearbox. Yes I have a 2016 Ibiza, it's reliable, haven't had any issues yet (touch wood), and UK there are many pot-holes, nothing vibrates or rattles (yet). I previously had a Leon TDI, gave it back after I did MOT (eg...was 3 yrs 2 months) no issues either. Just 1 tyre puncture (I drove over a nail).

Got a work colleague who has a Golf 1.6 FSI DSG from 2008, has close to 80k miles, no issues, still shifts nice and smooth when I last sat in it few weeks ago.

I don't see any new cars catastrophically failling if you put the correct fuel (some ppl do end up putting diesel in petrol, and petrol in diesel) in, keep up with servicing schedules, and routinely checking oil/coolant levels. Of course hitting a bit pot hole and damaging tyres/suspension is another thing.

Last edited:

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
We’ve ordered a DSG Ibiza, but it hasn’t been delivered yet.
Our Audi A3 e-tron also has a DSG box; it’s done just shy of 40k miles in three years, but it did have a DSG related fault after a year. The gear changes became really quite jerky at low speed. A replacement mechatronics unit (under warranty) fixed it. Didn’t stop us ordering the Ibiza :)

Last edited:

Wonky2348

Wonky
Jan 21, 2016
I think the issues with the DSG's have been ironed out now.

I was lucky enough to have DSG problems with by 2010 Ibiza Cupra. This was a common fault back then.
But the more modern Gearboxes seem a lot more reliable now.

José Silva

Nov 24, 2018
Portugal
I had a audi A1 dgs after 6 years the dgs broke I had to made rebuilt it and buy a new mecatronic almost 3000€.
Now i bought a fr dgs I did not learn.:redface:

Reactions: mopsi
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.