New Curpa 290 Clutch Slip

BKCUPRA290

Apr 1, 2016
Hey guys I have a Seat Cupra 290 and only had it since February so about two months old. I was in Curpa mode and overtaking a car (so I was doing about 80mph) when the clutch slipped. The car was doing 80mph but the car would not find the gear. Once it found the gear again the clutch pedal lost its responsiveness and has become very heavy, the bite point is also very high. The car drive fine but the clutch has lost its smoothness and is uncomfortable to drive.

I called SEAT and they sent out a technician the next day. He said the clutch got overheated and now it is not right. I have the car booked in on Tuesday for SEAT to have a look but I am guessing it will need either a new gear box or clutch.

The car is only two months old and it was in the race format when it happend so for a sports performance car I would not expect the clutch to go so soon.

The car was perfect and such a delight to drive, so fast yet safe. It is such a shame that something like this can happen.

Has anyone else has any similar problems with their 280 or 290?

ggo89

Hot Hatch Fan
May 19, 2016
Cluj-Napoca, RO
I recently came across something similar. As I was having fun on a B side road, after accelerating from a 2nd gear turn, I shifted to third and when releasing the clutch, the pedal refused to come all the way up. It just got stuck halfway and I had to press again in order to bite.
That was the first time I ever had clutch problems and it occurred after the drivetrain was well heated and after a few really quick shifts. Basically every time I drive aggressively, the clutch pedal seems to behave in a similar fashion as it does not recover as promptly to the correct position after being pressed. Yes it comes all the way up but it's not as "springy" as I normally feel it. I really hope nothing's burned in there. Dealer said they noticed nothing wrong when they tested it...

Springrollz

Jul 22, 2016
London
Yeah I have that to sometimes. It seems to fix itself after a long drive. But it does rear its ugly head every now and then. I experience what you've described only when I shift fast from 1st to 2nd when accelerating hard. I know mines gone as it sometime slips in 3rd ,4th,5th and 6th when accelerating .

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
If a clutch is going best way to see if this is happening is in your higher gears 4,5,6 At a steady speed then put your foot to the floor the tourqe will cause slippage if this is the case.

Gear box will be fine it's your dual mass fly wheel you don't want to burn.

I can't remember what I found out about the clutch system but it works on a dual system of such and causes a slower than wanted gear change. Wether this is caused by the master and slave cylinder I can't remember but I'm having mine changed.

My advice get a better clutch than the OEM standard there flimsy to say the least but I abused mine with very high tourqe

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.