Coolant consumption question. Ibiza ST 1.2TSi

Scratchman

Nov 9, 2016
Our 1.2 TSi Ibiza ST seems to have a bit of an appetite for coolant. I've just realised that since last October, in little drips and drops of topping up, I've put a litre of coolant in it.

The car has done just under 6000 miles in that time of mostly rural and small town driving with the odd long drive thrown in for good measure. It rarely sees a traffic jam. It's usually parked on gravel and I can't see any obvious leaks round the radiator / water pump etc.

I just wondered if any other TSi owners have experienced this? Is it within tolerances? Am I just being paranoid?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
How old is that car?
One source/reason for apparent coolant level dropping can be air trapped in the system during initial filling and that it is taking a long time to get moved into the reservoir/header tank.
Having said that, 6000 miles is a long time for this to sort itself out and a 1 litre of topping up is too much for that to be the cause.
So, that just leaves that you have a coolant leak somewhere, you really need to get the system pressure checked at a dealership so that they can resolve this - if the car is still under warranty get this done sooner than later.
Finally, exactly how high up the header tank are you refilling to, my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS came filled up to above the MAX level marking in the header tank, and is still at that point hot or cold. Quite a few Skoda Fabia, it seems, at a certain period in time, were sent out with low coolant levels - even sent out to customers! PDI - I wonder what that means to some dealerships?

Edit:- Oh, and try to remember to create new threads in the main area for this version of car, ta.

Last edited:

Scratchman

Nov 9, 2016
How old is that car?
One source/reason for apparent coolant level dropping can be air trapped in the system during initial filling and that it is taking a long time to get moved into the reservoir/header tank.
Having said that, 6000 miles is a long time for this to sort itself out and a 1 litre of topping up is too much for that to be the cause.
So, that just leaves that you have a coolant leak somewhere, you really need to get the system pressure checked at a dealership so that they can resolve this - if the car is still under warranty get this done sooner than later.
Finally, exactly how high up the header tank are you refilling to, my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS came filled up to above the MAX level marking in the header tank, and is still at that point hot or cold. Quite a few Skoda Fabia, it seems, at a certain period in time, were sent out with low coolant levels - even sent out to customers! PDI - I wonder what that means to some dealerships?

Edit:- Oh, and try to remember to create new threads in the main area for this version of car, ta.

The car is a 2011 (61) and 49000 miles, so well out of warranty. I first noticed the level was a little low after a trip from Helensburgh to York and back last October. I just topped it up and thought nothing of it.

Since then it's seemed to require a little dribble of coolant on a random basis. It can go for weeks and be fine, then just drop. The annoying thing is that the car lives outside on gravel so it's difficult to spot any puddles. However, looking around and underneath I can't see any coolant stains from the usual suspects. As the former owner of 7 Rover K Series cars, I'm well aware of the importance of checking coolant levels. :)

I always check when it's stone cold, on level ground and just top up to the MAX mark on the tank with properly mixed G12.

It's due a service soon, so I'll keep an eye on it and get it looked at.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
how hard is a water pump replacement?

It depends on which engine type you are changing it on, unfortunately, it normally involves removing the timing belt on an engine that is belt driven. Chain driven engines might have an external water pump which is a lot easier to replace.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Waterpump change might be very OTT if its just a tiny split in a hose that only seeps when hot.

My punto had this on the top hose. Even a total non-mechanic like me swapped it out in 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Scratchman

Nov 9, 2016
It depends on which engine type you are changing it on, unfortunately, it normally involves removing the timing belt on an engine that is belt driven. Chain driven engines might have an external water pump which is a lot easier to replace.

Ours is 1.2TSi and chain driven so water pump is on a belt. Replacement doesn't look too tricky, it's near the top of the engine. Leak is tiny, so I'm just monitoring it ATM.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I could be talking utter rubbish, or just guessing, a dangerous pastime, but I think that that engine is chain driven and the water pump is driven by the auxiliary belt, so in theory, it should not be too difficult - someone else with practical experience of this engine might drop by?

One thing though, always try to start new threads in the correct area of these forums - this section is, I think, where authorised persons only, post answers to frequently asked questions, what you are trying to do is to ask a question so that you might get help.

Fands

Oct 13, 2017
I could be talking utter rubbish, or just guessing, a dangerous pastime, but I think that that engine is chain driven and the water pump is driven by the auxiliary belt, so in theory, it should not be too difficult - someone else with practical experience of this engine might drop by?

One thing though, always try to start new threads in the correct area of these forums - this section is, I think, where authorised persons only, post answers to frequently asked questions, what you are trying to do is to ask a question so that you might get help.

Hi really appreciate the good advice.

I did try to start a new thread re monitoring the temperature but did not get any responses so came here as it was coolant related.
Do the Ibiza Cupra not have any temperature gauges or monitoring?

Scratchman

Nov 9, 2016

I did try to start a new thread re monitoring the temperature but did not get any responses so came here as it was coolant related.

Like a lot of modern cars, the Ibiza has no temperature gauge. It's something that annoys the hell out of me. Especially given the tiny amount of coolant that some modern engines take.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Like a lot of modern cars, the Ibiza has no temperature gauge. It's something that annoys the hell out of me. Especially given the tiny amount of coolant that some modern engines take.

As I posted on the other thread that is nonsense, even disrespectful to Boca buyers, what are SEAT thinking about, my wife's 2015 1.2 110PS Polo has a temperature gauge, yes okay leave the temperature gauge out on a basic model - if you must, but these cars cost quite a bit more than the basic ones, wake up SEAT!

Time for all you FR, Cupra and Boca owners to challenge SEAT UK's choices of what is and what is not fitted to these cars.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

Yes, but you raised that other thread in this same area, you will get better exposure in the main Mk5 section of this forum.