Badger5

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » Diagnostics, Tuning and Modification » Engine Discussion » TDi - SEAT Diesel specific topics

TDi - SEAT Diesel specific topics exclusively for SEAT diesel specific topics only.

Old 06-11-2017, 13:22   #1
teeth2k

teeth2k has 10 points
Possible fault help

Hi all
Last night I noticed when I first started my car pd105, the headlights would get slightly brighter when I revved the car, after a drive this wasn't that noticeable, could this mean either the battery's on it's way out or the alternator is on it's way out?
Also could this be related to why I have to have the cam sensor unplugged to get the car to start?

Any info would be much gratefully received
Old 07-11-2017, 18:06   #2
cheshire cat

cheshire cat has 10 points
a voltage test wouldn't hurt but not immediately after a run say1/2-1 hour after should be ideally 12.6 then start check then switchon load and see if it dips much---------re cam sensor -wouldn't think it's relevant
Old 07-11-2017, 20:15   #3
teeth2k

teeth2k has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshire cat View Post
a voltage test wouldn't hurt but not immediately after a run say1/2-1 hour after should be ideally 12.6 then start check then switchon load and see if it dips much---------re cam sensor -wouldn't think it's relevant
IV read on the web that the sensor could be down to the battery or alternator if replaced and still at fault

Sent from my Wileyfox Storm using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2017, 20:54   #4
verbal_kint

verbal_kint has 10 points
With a multimeter on the battery the alternator should charge at around the 14.2- 14.5v mark and dip but recover as you load the current draw by turning lights etc on.

If you are getting less than 13.8v then you're not getting enough to keep the battery charged so could point to a faulty alternator but do check all the connections as breaks or corrosion can create resistance.

Last edited by verbal_kint; 10-11-2017 at 23:42.
verbal_kint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:13   #5
teeth2k

teeth2k has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbal_kint View Post
With a multimeter on the battery the alternator should charge at around the 14.2- 14.5v mark and dip but recover as you load the current draw by turning lights etc on.

If you are getting less than 13.8v then you're not getting enough to keep the battery charged so could point to a faulty alternator but do check all the connections as breaks or corrosion can create resistance.
IV done a test with a multimeter and the battery is 12v on standing and 14v with engine running

Sent from my Wileyfox Storm using Tapatalk