Seat Leon 1.6tdi 110

christyD

Nov 21, 2017
So I just bought a 2016 leon 1.6tdi 110 31k on clock like the car but can not believe the engine noise I no it's diesel but I had a caddy van before this and it was no were near as loud is this normal? Even sitting at 75mph on motorways it's humming away

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
I think mine is pretty quiet. I had a demo of a C-Class 220D estate and thought the engine in that less refined. My 1.6 Leon knocks my previous diesel (Nissan X-Trail 2.2D) into a cocked hat for refinement.

PRG

Oct 19, 2017
I found this with my 1.6tdi as well, it's just how it is. I think some of the newer diesel engines are more refined but the 1.6 110 is pretty loud, I always thought it should have an extra gear for motorway driving as 70mph got pretty loud.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
What are the revs @ 75mph...in 5th? I wonder if DSG 7th gear is lower rpm.

I had the same engine in a rented Audi A3 1.6TDI manual (had a 6th gear though) and it did about 75mph in around 2.1-2.2k rpm

christyD

Nov 21, 2017
What are the revs @ 75mph...in 5th? I wonder if DSG 7th gear is lower rpm.

I had the same engine in a rented Audi A3 1.6TDI manual (had a 6th gear though) and it did about 75mph in around 2.1-2.2k rpm
Under 2000 rpm

PRG

Oct 19, 2017
I've traded mine in for an FR 1.4 now, mine was the 1.6tdi 110 ecomotive SE manual 5 speed. 75 was probably around 2500-3000 I think and a real tedious grunting sound, I just got used to it, then questioned why my petrol is so quiet :D

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
Yes in my DSG the engine is doing slightly over 2000RPM at 70, so lower than the 5-spd manual.(I know this as its just fast enough to avoid re-gens of the DPF) Its doing just under 2200RPM at 75. A long run on French motorways at 80 and 2350RPM (ish) is quite relaxed - I find wind noise from the mirrors more intrusive.

PRG

Oct 19, 2017
Yeah, mine was pre-facelift and I can also say that road noise was generally louder than the engine was in the cabin. Maybe upgrade your sound system so that you can't hear it? ;)

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
@ ChristyD perhaps give it a tankful of Esso Supreme Diesel or Shell Vpower Nitro Plus Diesel to clean out the gunk from the previous owners likely supermarket diesel diet.

From my experience (and I'm sure the others here as well), the engine noise at that speed and revs, is unlikely to be louder than the tyre/road noise, and the wind noise. For me, I usually have the music on 95% of the time I'm in the car, so whatever engine noise I hear, is less that the rest. Are the tyres (or wheel bearing) also runing on their last legs? Seeing as 31k on the clock, could be time to change?

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I've traded mine in for an FR 1.4 now, mine was the 1.6tdi 110 ecomotive SE manual 5 speed. 75 was probably around 2500-3000 I think and a real tedious grunting sound, I just got used to it, then questioned why my petrol is so quiet :D

I had a simlar change from 2.0TDI to 1.0 EcoTSI...I keep needing to check if the petrol is on the stop part of the start/stop, but no it was on idle. Only thing the 3pot vibrates more at the pedal than the 4pot TDI.

However I wouldn't say the 2.0TDI was THAT noisy at motorway speeds.

My 1.0 sits at 2500 rpm @ 70mph, 2.0TDI sat at 2200 rpm @ 70mph both DSGs

Last edited:

PRG

Oct 19, 2017
@ ChristyD perhaps give it a tankful of Esso Supreme Diesel or Shell Vpower Nitro Plus Diesel to clean out the gunk from the previous owners likely supermarket diesel diet.

From my experience (and I'm sure the others here as well), the engine noise at that speed and revs, is unlikely to be louder than the tyre/road noise, and the wind noise. For me, I usually have the music on 95% of the time I'm in the car, so whatever engine noise I hear, is less that the rest. Are the tyres (or wheel bearing) also runing on their last legs? Seeing as 31k on the clock, could be time to change?

I second that, failing that - I used to add some Redex diesel cleaner when I couldn't get to shell/esso garages. Then give it a good hammering in each gears. Depending on your driving style, the DPF regen also adds to the noise, if town driving you will generally still hear the fan when you switch off - I found it was doing this every week since doing the emissions recall.

PRG

Oct 19, 2017
I had a simlar change from 2.0TDI to 1.0 EcoTSI...I keep needing to check if the petrol is on the stop part of the start/stop, but no it was on idle. Only thing the 3pot vibrates more at the pedal than the 4pot TDI.

However I wouldn't say the 2.0TDI was THAT noisy at motorway speeds.

My 1.0 sits at 2500 rpm @ 70mph, 2.0TDI sat at 2200 rpm @ 70mph both DSGs

I found that the 2.0TDI was a lot quiter (I only had it as a courtesy), but my 1.6 was quite rough - also noting it's much more prominent in cold weather when the engine was cold - it sounded like a tractor at times.

christyD

Nov 21, 2017
Hi all thanks for all replys.tyres are near new I think I'll get my mechanic to take a look at it this weekend and see what he thinking as for fuel I put diptain into it last Saturday to try clean out engine and car has only being serviced

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I test drove a low miles year old 1.6 TDI (looking to buy a new one at the time), I was shocked how rough it was.

It was less smooth and way less refined than the 1992 vintage Mitsubishi diesel I had arrived at the dealer in!

My even older TUD engined Citroen was also a nicer motor.

I never drove a gruffer diesel and I honestly couldn't see myself being happy trading a £375 car for a £14000 one that was so less refined. Went with the 1.2 chain drive TSI instead - what a peach!

Even less believable is that Audi drivers buy that awful 1.6 diesel as well! - in fact I can see a 67 plate A3 cabrio diesel outside - list about £29k with the horrid VW TDI!!

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I test drove a low miles year old 1.6 TDI (looking to buy a new one at the time), I was shocked how rough it was.

It was less smooth and way less refined than the 1992 vintage Mitsubishi diesel I had arrived at the dealer in!

My even older TUD engined Citroen was also a nicer motor.

I never drove a gruffer diesel and I honestly couldn't see myself being happy trading a £375 car for a £14000 one that was so less refined. Went with the 1.2 chain drive TSI instead - what a peach!

Even less believable is that Audi drivers buy that awful 1.6 diesel as well! - in fact I can see a 67 plate A3 cabrio diesel outside - list about £29k with the horrid VW TDI!!
Interesting. I went from a 62 140bhp Passat diesel to a 16 plate 150 model, and I was surprised at how noisy the newer engine was , particularly at low revs & round town , it's like a bloody tractor!

christyD

Nov 21, 2017
Am starting to think myself it's more the tyres that are adding to the engine noise this seems to be making it worse

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
What tyres and how old?

Some of SEAT's OEM fits are diabolical - Dunlop SP SportMaxx for instance - world's noisiest tyres??

The Bridgestone RE050A on my new SEAT are pretty noisy too, not a patch on the PremiumContact 2 fitted to the previous new SEAT I had.