GUIDE: Spraying

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
Hi guys just going through stuff on my pc and found this floating about thought it might be of some use

First up you'll need your primer, base coat colour, thinners your paint to match your car mixed by a decent paint supplier and your lacquer.

You'll also need scotchbrite, some grit 80 or 120, grit 400, 600 and 800 paper for prep work and some 1200 and 1500 for lacquer touch ups/runs.

Body filler and stopper. Stopper is like filler but you dont need to mix it and it's a lot finer for filling small imperfections.

1) First up trial fit your bumper/body kit and get all the lines for the edges where you want them and whee possible physically attach it with any bolts and scews provided. You'll be gutted if you finish spraying it and you didn't do this first as you'll end up fitting it and respraying it again after!!

2) When you've trimmed any edges and are happy with the fit you'll need to key the surface of the body kit using a combination of the scotchbrite and the heavier grit paper.

3) Apply a lcouple of ight layers of your primer and just as one layer is starting to go off, apply the next. This helps them to stick to each other and the bumper surface.

4) Look for any imperfections in the kit like ripples, small dinks and chips of mishapen fibreglass and get these filled and flatted.

5) When you are happy with the condition of the bumper give it another coat of primer. Then flat the surface using the 400 paper followed by the 600. Some people go for 800 as well after this but some people say 800 is smoother giving better finish where others will say 800 is smoother making it harder for the paint to hold it. Personal preference at the end of the day.

6) Apply a base coat of similar colour to your finished bodykit. The shinyer finish will show up any last small imperfections before going on to your cars actual paint colour. Sort any imperfections, blend the lines and give them another going over with the base coat until they vanish..

7) When you're happy with the final finish of your bumper flat the base coat with 400 and 600 again then you're ready for you colour.

8)The trick to applying your colour is to go over the bodykit with a couple of light layers as you did with the primer before giving it a heavier coat so that its easier for each layer to grab onto each other then as the paint is curing and has gone tacky apply the lacquer so it will grab better to the paint and try to apply it so that it doesn't run.

a couple of runs isn't to bad but if there's a lot then you will end up having trouble sanding them all without damaging the paint underneath.

Don't worry about dust falling into the lacquer as this can be removed later.

If you feel that you need to apply more lacquer then key the top of the existing lacquer with scothchbrite before applying it so that it has something to grab.

9) When the lacquer has cured over night and is thoroughly dry you will find dust in it. Some people say to sand the lacquer with 1200 and 1500 before polishing up. This will remove your orange peel effect, runs and any dust. Or you can use G3 compound which is like t-cut but without ammonis so it doesn't damage your new paint. Halfords also sell this as paint rubbing compound and it does the same as sanding the finish but is less abbraisive.

10) After rubbing the lacquer down and removing any scratches, dust and runs just polish it up to a shiny finish.

I followed this and my bumpers on my old car came out amazing! just like a pro!

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
its an exact guide how to spray base coat and 2 pack laquer its not vehicle/manufacturer specific. Its how to properly spray something yourself without having to spend loads.

I bought a compressor, 1.5mm nossle paint-gun, primer, green filler, base coat and 2 pack laquer along with the sand papers. To shave time obviously use power sanders/polishers etc but i followed this guide and my kit on the astra came out amazing for first timer!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
its an exact guide how to spray base coat and 2 pack laquer its not vehicle/manufacturer specific. Its how to properly spray something yourself without having to spend loads.

I bought a compressor, 1.5mm nossle paint-gun, primer, green filler, base coat and 2 pack laquer along with the sand papers. To shave time obviously use power sanders/polishers etc but i followed this guide and my kit on the astra came out amazing for first timer!

but its still got jack to do with ibiza's. :no:

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
yea its for all cars! right break down of the price

1.5mm Gun with Nossle and large pot - £45
Compressor 3/4 bar (ebay) - £112 incl hose (2 taps and tank bleeder)
Mask & Filter (£10)

Paint £12 for a tin 400ml (professionally mixed)
Green Filler (£15)
Primer (£10)
Sand Paper (total for all of them 50 sheets per box) £35

Bearing in mind 1 tin of paint can do an entire car with leftovers, the green filler can do several cars, and the etched primer can do atleast 2 cars.

in the long run its a bargain if you want to learn to spray! if u add all the above it comes to the price of having an aftermarket front bumper resprayed - i know lol cos ive done it before learning to spray

Last edited:

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
Base colour and laquer needs to be flexible too, otherwise it'll crack and look ****.

yea thats why u spray it in the following

Etched Primer

Green Filler

Paint

2 Pack Laquer

because the paint is sprayed onto the flexible filler which is elastic. Dont worry if you goto a professional paint shop theyll give u all the right bits n bobs

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.