How to - Change Brake Light Switch

fixed

I fixed it...

:lol: thank you for your information, for people trying this be careful the switch only separates from the metal hanger 1 way!..

Once you have the break switch in your hand unclip the top lid (you will need a small screwdriver for this) inside you will see 3 springs & a plate, remove the plate to find the carbon connections, "over time you will find a carbon build-up" (like soot) this will create a poor connection, clean around the connection with a cotton wool bud & blow inside the housing to remove any lose material, scratch the carbon connections with a small screwdriver & blow again.

Put every thing back together & Job done!..

FIXED

fixed

:lol: sorry guys i have posted to many, i was trying to get my message to sit under the original post i read, i have not figered out how to delete them yet Dow! lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

&rew

That's what she said
Nov 13, 2006
Ipswich, Suffolk
Serious help needed guys!

I've followed this guide to the letter, plugged the wires back in, turned the ignition on and the brake lights are on permanently!!!

What the :censored::censored: am I doing wrong?!

Hedges

Done this today , great guide!
I didnt take the entire dash off, i managed to loosen it enought to get my hand in with out undoing the bonnet latch screws, 20 mins job max :D

keal

Thanks for the guide, i printed it out and it took me step by step throught replacing the switch, you just saved me £35 that SEAT were going to charge me for fitting it. and it took me less that 30 minutes.

s4oopie

Boost Junkie
Jul 9, 2009
the car wash ;)
great guide .... found the car a pleasure to work on as im sure i would have no skin left and it would have taken an age if it was a clio or similar :)
just a pointer that the part i got from volkswagen also worked with a small trim of the nob/plunger ...
part number ...1J0 945 511/A ... the fitting and socket lay out is exactly the same after testing by leaving out and connecting up wires . The brake lights work altho on fitting into it carrier i noticed it wouldn't go all the way down so taking back out and comparing to o.e switch you can see the nob/plunger is about 10mm too big so a trim will be required ....

as regards &rew I would remove the switch take out the brake light and indicator cluster close the boot and pull the rear bench forward connect the now removed switch and see if the brake lights are lit ?? now push the plunger to see if the light goes out :) if so make sure the plunger actually hits the brake pedal and pushes it to the closed position .... if not i'd be tempted to put some packing i.e super glue a few washers until the plunger is fully pushed in when brake pedal is in the resting position ... hope that helps bud:D

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
I've just changed my brake light switch and now my bake lights are on constantly, anybody got any idea what's wrong?

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
And how would I go about adjusting it right?

Both the old and new switch and making the light stay on permenantly...? I've tried messing with the rod on the old one with no joy

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
I plugged in the new switch then pushed it in and turned it anticlockwise and locked it in place. The lights came on and stayed on.

So I took it out and pushed the rod in and let it come out etc and the lights stayed on the whole time.

I then put the old switch back in and the light stayed on until I unplugged the electical connector!

I've tried pulling the rod out on the old switch but when either switch is plugged in the lights won't go off...

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Press the brake pedal in with your hand and with the other hand pull out the plunger on the brake light switch approx 1 inch. Release the pedal and the pedal will self adjust the plunger to the correct length and all will be well.:)
People do not realise that the plunger must be pulled out to allow the brake pedal to adjust it perfectly, they seam to think that its correctly set out of the box.

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
I assume so because the new switch had a really long rod when I first put it in and it adjusted and came out shorter when I took it out.

The thing I can't understand is if I push the rod or pull it out it has no effect on the lights!

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
Surely if the plunger is pulled out as far as it will go the lights should go off? This is not the with either of my switches...?

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
Ok thanks, ill try pulling the plunger out and putting it back in. Do I need to push the pedal down when I put the switch in?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.