Mk1 Leon Head Unit Installation

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
haha but there's two solid red wires to the black block?? ones at number 7 as above and ones at number one... with the yellow at number 4

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
hidi hi. plugged straight into car ISO, the reason i was being a pain was because the wiring was so tightly fitted at factory that the bullet connnectors were all the way behind the glove box... which had to come out! so i didnt know what on earth everyone was going on about!!

one final question. . . my facia adapter is yet to arrive. if i put the cage in and fully fit the HU, when the facia adapter arrives in the post will i have to remove the cage? i wasnt sure which side of the lip on the cage i should expect to fit the adapter. Its a tight fit and i dont fancy trying to get the thing out once its fitted.

and once again thanks very much for your help and advice. you've saved me alot of stress and blood!

fatzz

Mar 8, 2010
sorry to bring back the old thread but found it very usefull

never put in a stereo b4 (thanks lee69)

swapped my auru with a clarion head unit no probs

even still works with the nokia bluetooth thingy

but when i swapped the red and yellow wires i lose the memory

when i swap them back as normal the bloody thing doesnt turn off when i take out the key

is this because of the wiring or is a daft feature of the clarion

wrecker

soz to chip in on this thread....

I've got an Alpine iDA-X305 on order and bought a kit off ebay for the Leon fascia/leads (ebay item number 370328041719 - Sorry, can't post links yet!).

Am I likely to need to swap anything or use the amplified aerial adaptor or will it probably just plug and play fine? No problem swapping wires etc. if necessary, but it sounded like it often just 'works' when it's plugged in.

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
when using that loom no need to swap the wires,if your using that booster you'll to buy an aerial adapter in order to fit the alpine unit
im too tired to find the correct booster right now.lol.

just get one of these

url

wrecker

Great, cheers. I'll get an ISO DIN converter from halfrauds. Thought I'd read somewhere about needing one of them. Thanks for your help mate :)

Ferglar

Hi, new to all this so go easy!

I've put a new headunit in my mk1 cupra and in the process a bare wire sparked when inserting the new stereo.

I can now only eject or insert a cd but the stereo will not turn on. It's something car related as I have 2 stereos and they both do the same thing. I've checked the fuses by the drivers door and all seem ok.

Is there anywhere else I can look or has anyone had a similar problem???

Ferg

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin R

Sep 21, 2009
Another thread revival. I'm just fitting my alpine CDA-9835R to my leon. I know i need to swap over the yellow and red wires. My head unit specifys that the yellow should be a direct battery feed so i'll do that with an inline fuse.

My question is, my dimmer function seems to be fluctuating on and off. The alpine used an orange wire from the black ISO connector as the dimmer signal. This goes into the grey/blue trace wire on the main loom. Should this hold the dimmer function?

I will get a multimeter and check later but thought i'd ask on the off chance :)

tomu347

Jan 1, 2015
Changer points

Hi I know this is an old thread but you never know, I noticed someone mentioned on here earlier that the black point on the image posted was for power the brown point was for the speakers and the multicoloured one was for the cd changer, i'm just curious as to whether it is possible to get an adapter for the cd changer point as i'm thinking of swapping out my original aura cassette player for something new and would like to keep the cd changer functioning.
thanks in advance for any replies.
also i would like any suggestions of any good head units that have changer control built in and would work with the cd changer i have built in (sony cdx-t69)

JamieF

Dec 16, 2014
Cleethorpes
I used to work as an audio fitter and used to get aske dthis question all the time, and there are no aftermarket headunits that will control the cd changer, many will use their own changer, or just get a bluetooth headunit and stream your music wirelessly, and get handsfree too

tomu347

Jan 1, 2015
Just checked online for a head unit that has cd changer crontrol and after hours of searching i've found one (sony cdx-mp40) quite an old head unit but the instruction manuel says it is compatible with the CDX-T69 interchanger, i just need to find out what connection i need for it

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.