Clutch pedal on the floor

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
I've had a similar problem... Parked the car up the other night and when I got back in the next day the clutch pedal was on the floor. So I hooked it up with my foot and since then it has not done it again. I wonder if it is simply something to do with the cold weather or the beginnings of a more serious issue?

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
i've only noticied it when its been cold, when the weather is warm it doesn't seem to happen. I wonder if its to do with old fluid as the clutch is hydraulic. Where is the reservoir for the clutch? I've not been able to locate it. I'm thinking of checking it to see if it needs a top up or maybe get it drained and put some new fluid in.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
i've only noticied it when its been cold, when the weather is warm it doesn't seem to happen. I wonder if its to do with old fluid as the clutch is hydraulic. Where is the reservoir for the clutch? I've not been able to locate it. I'm thinking of checking it to see if it needs a top up or maybe get it drained and put some new fluid in.

It runs off the brake fluid reservoir

turbomin

I've had a similar problem... Parked the car up the other night and when I got back in the next day the clutch pedal was on the floor. So I hooked it up with my foot and since then it has not done it again. I wonder if it is simply something to do with the cold weather or the beginnings of a more serious issue?

It only ever happened to my Leon when it was cold and the Mrs was driving :rolleyes: It only ever happened once and never caused a problem since... unless it was a sign that the pedal was about to break

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
It only ever happened to my Leon when it was cold and the Mrs was driving :rolleyes: It only ever happened once and never caused a problem since... unless it was a sign that the pedal was about to break

... I think it was cause I'd done a very short trip and when I turned the car off I had the clutch down putting the car into reverse (parking on a hill). Not done it since, so I've put it down to on of those strange things that happen in cold weather.

Dave T

Interestingly this has just happened on my Cupra R. However mine happened at the end of a long trip (100 miles). Pulled the pedal back up manually and it worked fine after that. Did the same trip back again and pedal was fine again until 2 miles from home and happened again once. Again pulled pedal up manually and it worked fine, any ideas?

Dave T

just checked and no sign of a plastic clip in the footwell or any fluid (haven't checked the fluid level in the engine bay as yet!)

mikey_b

May 18, 2008
Manchester
i cant belave this i was just comeing up the road to pull in my drive just now and bang clutch pedal gone to the floor and a plastic white clip on the floor! for f*** sake

Just had the same problem with mine got a new clutch pedal and car works fine....but now the pedal is higher then the break and accelorater pedals any body got any ideas????

Last edited:

Ben111

Gaaah, I hate my clutch at the moment. [:@] Took me 10 mins to get my car into gear yesterday and the pedal is sitting very low... Seems to be ok once I get it in gear and drive for about 10mins, improves and then fine.

Just spoken to a mechanic and think it may be the master/slave cylinder leaking and air getting into the hydraulic fluid...

Any thoughts?

Ben111

Gaaah, I hate my clutch at the moment. [:@] Took me 10 mins to get my car into gear yesterday and the pedal is sitting very low... Seems to be ok once I get it in gear and drive for about 10mins, improves and then fine.

Just spoken to a mechanic and think it may be the master/slave cylinder leaking and air getting into the hydraulic fluid...

Any thoughts?

Should have added that this is only a problem when it's been left a few hours and seems to be much worse when it's cold!

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
I have experienced this "clutch in the floor" situation just few days ago :D. I was in portsmouth, 100 miles away from home, it was almost 10pm. I was quite scared at the start but i was lucky enough that i have booked a diagnostic check with JKM in portsmouth next day. All was sorted in just about 2 hours. Plastic clip snapped. Driving without a clutch was definietly the best part of the evening :D.

Plastic clutch switch £2, labour £50 ^^

Adam180

May 26, 2008
Northern Ireland
hey gentalmen, this has just happened me a few moments ago, the two spot welds have cracked and the actuator on the master cylinder has forced its way threw, however, the master cylinder itself does not look bent but it is very wobbely. is this normal, if so do i just need a new pedal and clip?

Adam180

May 26, 2008
Northern Ireland
are u sure the system is bleed correctly, i dont the the system is adjustable as it is hydrolic, on my car anyway. a slightly higher clutch pedal can often be a sign that its on the way out, was it not like this previously to having the new pedal fitted?

mikey_b

May 18, 2008
Manchester
are u sure the system is bleed correctly, i dont the the system is adjustable as it is, on my car anyway. a slightly higher clutch pedal can often be a sign that its on the way out, was it not like this previously to having the new pedal fitted?

my pedal was equal before the new one went in...and i dnt knw if it has been bled! if it hasnt is that what needs to be done?? ( mine is a hydrolic clutch aswell)

Last edited:

Adam180

May 26, 2008
Northern Ireland
if you look from the front of your car past the engine to the bulkhead on the left and side you have your brake fluid resevoir, from it there is a short black hose going to your clutch MASTER cylinder which is secures with 2x 6mm allen key bolds, and is passing threw the bulkhead to your clutch pedal, although it may seem to be up to high this is definatly it. if u follow the steel fluid like from it the back of your engine towards the gearbox you will see were it joins your clutch SLAVE cylinder, beside were the hydrolic line meets the slave cylinder there is an 11mm hollow bolt with a nipple on the end covered with a black rubber cap, much like the bleed nipple on a brake caliper

while the engine is running, have some depress the clutch several times then hold it down firmly.
at this point you should, LOOSEN, do not remove, the bleed nipple, aprox. 1 turbo until some air/fluid comes out, wait a few seconds then tighting, have the person operating the pedal repeat the pumping and holding down of the pedal with you repeating the bleeding until there is a constant discharge from the nipple. insure that you top up the brake resevoir with enough fluid for the operation and cheak after. inspect and road test,

if the nipple takes any effort at all to open, BEWARE it is tapped into a metal ovular bung in a plastic case and to much force will turn the ovular loob and crack the slave cylinder. although this may be a neccessary evil to get the job done

mikey_b

May 18, 2008
Manchester
if you look from the front of your car past the engine to the bulkhead on the left and side you have your brake fluid resevoir, from it there is a short black hose going to your clutch MASTER cylinder which is secures with 2x 6mm allen key bolds, and is passing threw the bulkhead to your clutch pedal, although it may seem to be up to high this is definatly it. if u follow the steel fluid like from it the back of your engine towards the gearbox you will see were it joins your clutch SLAVE cylinder, beside were the hydrolic line meets the slave cylinder there is an 11mm hollow bolt with a nipple on the end covered with a black rubber cap, much like the bleed nipple on a brake caliper

while the engine is running, have some depress the clutch several times then hold it down firmly.
at this point you should, LOOSEN, do not remove, the bleed nipple, aprox. 1 turbo until some air/fluid comes out, wait a few seconds then tighting, have the person operating the pedal repeat the pumping and holding down of the pedal with you repeating the bleeding until there is a constant discharge from the nipple. insure that you top up the brake resevoir with enough fluid for the operation and cheak after. inspect and road test,

if the nipple takes any effort at all to open, BEWARE it is tapped into a metal ovular bung in a plastic case and to much force will turn the ovular loob and crack the slave cylinder. although this may be a neccessary evil to get the job done

Kool mate thanks for that...i will try it next week as my car is getting a full respary in candy white!!:clap::funk:

Adam180

May 26, 2008
Northern Ireland
sounds great, mine was done b4 i got it but have a bit of a scratch on on of the wings, its very hard to notice but would like to have the whole car done again, just so i knew it was flawless and get one of the bra's for the front to keep the stone chips away

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.