Ibiza Mk4 Custom Gas Bonnet Lifters/Struts - Finally Finished!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Been there and done that - didn't get anything close to the spec I wanted. But if you were to modify my designs slightly - you could easily get away with one around 10-20mm longer (keep bonnet opening at same OEM angle - mine is slightly lower) but force is the issue - most I found were weaker than my required calculations.

That said - I didn't need the full 400N each anyway...300N a piece might be ok, but it'll be more work if they are too weak.

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
If I do get something from a scrappy and it dont work then I aint realy going to lose anything. Then I'll get the ones you have :)

Could you tell me the distance from the threaded holt to the 8mm (closest) bolt hole please?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
shorter struts would need bigger forces, and just don't seem to be available out there. You'd then need a bigger diameter strut which probably wouldn't fit in the grove in the underside of the bonnet.

Damo - can't give measurements at the moment mate - but as said will try and get my diagram scanned in.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
See post #2 for dimensions diagram mate - just nipped out to garage to find where I left it. lol.

Please note that some dimensions changed according to diagram - rather than angled section, it was cut off square (top) and the width is not 30mm - I had to use a mill and trim off approx 2mm from the inside edge (closest to engine) of the bracket as it very slightly fouled on the bonnet hinge which has a lip.

The m6 bolt hole for the ball-head screw is tapped and "locktited" - the 2 M8 holes (and additional 3rd M8 hole in N/S bracket) are not tapped.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Oh - and at this point in time, I want to claim the award of "first ever hydraulic bonnet lifter for the mk4", but if that one is already taken - then add to the end "that doesn't require drilling/modifications"

:p:p:p

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Nice one mate. I'll knock up a few brackets when I'm back to work on Thursday :thumbup:

See, had you done this months ago before I got a mk4, you could have claimed the title ;)
But alas, I beat you to it - so :p hehe

I also accept no responsibility for damage to your car(s) or yourself if you decide to copy my ideas! :D

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
:p

Good luck with the hunt at the scrappies - let me know how you get on!

Oh, and be warned about the bonnet hinge bolts - might be worth getting some a bit longer - suggest extra 3-4mm in length if possible. I was concerned about c*cking up the thread on one of my bolts, but managed to get it to catch in the end.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
sweet!
I've got some more stainless bolts here, but they're too long so I'd need to cut them down.
Plus they didn't really look OEM, so I didn't want to use them :p

Picky, huh? haha

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
thanks folks - if Damo gets the design replicated and working, no doubt he'll sell a few. :) All the hard work is done now - all you need to do is copy it!

It is one of those cost-cutting exercises - I don't think the Polo's came with them either.

Just a word of warning though - if you do get fixed force struts - you could end up bending your bonnet or breaking the hinges if they are too strong, or, from the other view - too weak and you'll have a bonnet wrapped around your head while you're working under it!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
thanks folks - if Damo gets the design replicated and working, no doubt he'll sell a few. :) All the hard work is done now - all you need to do is copy it!

It is one of those cost-cutting exercises - I don't think the Polo's came with them either.

Well the original 9N Polos came with them - I've a hunch that they may have been dumped by the time the face-lifted 9N3's came along - probably to save money.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.