faded yellow *help*

brownie86

Hi, the paint on my roof has faded, and was just wondering how to get it shining again and more importantly the same as the rest of my car lol....its only slightly faded, the colour is yellow...

many thanks

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hey mate, i take it your new to detailing? You might want to consider having it professionally detailed.

Depending on the level of fade you will need something with a bit of cut.

Personally, i use sonus SFX-1, applied by hand with a polishing pad, but autoglym do a similar product, as do meguires.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polish/sonus-sfx-1-restore-polish/prod_43.html

Before you start polishing though, you will need to wash and prep the paint, search on here for two bucket method washing, claying, polishing , waxing.

Here is my mums red J reg astra that i did with sonus and then auto glym super resin polish. No before shot sadly. You could try using super resin polish first, but it probably wont have enough bite, but its worth trying first.

It was pretty much pink when i started.

Photo014.jpg

brownie86

thanks very much for the advice, i am new to detailing but im going to give it a go and if not i will get it proffesionally done

thanks very much

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
onvi yellow fades under the clear coat and is a completely different car to polish to the single stage astra you have mentioned.

The astra has very soft un-lacquered paint, where the seat has lacquered hard paint, and has faded under neath so cannot just be polished as you cant polish what is lacquered over.

hope this clarifies?

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
Iain,

Is there anything that can be applied to Onvi to stop it fading???
Currently looking at purchasing a LCR in Onvi with good colour..

Obviously I'm concerned with the fading under the laquer but it hasn't started yet (55 plate), must have been parked in the shade?
Can anything be applied to bounce back the UV??

Regards

Mike ( You protected my K1 remember ;)

Mar 19, 2010
so its impossible to restory some of the fading on ovni ? looks like a boot respray for me then

fellowsuk

Apr 2, 2008
Sunny Wolverhampton!
i feel for u, my mk1 leon in yellow and got worse over the 2 years i had it as i couldnt park it in the shade. nothing i did really stopped it, i used to wax it often, it was a 2001 plate tho, so i think you'll have a few years.

Mar 19, 2010
my boot is faded dreadfully , will have to get it resprayed when i get the bonnet done .. is there anyway of restoring colour ? or do you have to just get a respray ?

Mar 19, 2010
ok , Ill have to get a respray then. is there any ways of getting down to the paint layer by removing the laquer ?

Mar 19, 2010
I got mine cause it was cheap and a good runner. just needs the bonnet and boot doing. not fussed about it fadeing as it can always have a respray at later date. would it be better not to laquer it next time ?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members