VRSLOZ

Changing Sidelights Bulbs **GUIDE**

Aug 25, 2010
I take it your LEDs are the flat circuit board type - could you post some photos of each side of the board, please?

Ye sure I'll do it in the morning going to try and sort the warning light out

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
UPDATE :

Right guys after having the sidelight bulbs in for 2 months I've started to get tired of having the bulb warning light on CONSTANTLY when I put the lights on, something had to be done!

With a few peoples help I found out that the L.E.D bulbs were causing problems with the system and I would either have to stump up £9.99 per bulb for one that would cure the problem or install resistors. I couldn't afford to pay that kind of money for a sidelight bulb and I didn't want to install resistors.

I had a look on the net for an alternative and was getting fed up when I found these :

Clicky Clicky - Link To Bulbs

CAN-BUS 501 No error bulbs (if you can call them bulbs, bit weird looking eh!!).

I asked the seller if they would work OK and he confirmed they should, I took a bit of a punt, £8 for x2 wouldn't be too bad a loss if they didn't work. They came through today :

new_1.jpg

new_2.jpg

Was going to wait until I got home to fit them but as per usual I just couldn't wait so on my lunch I installed them.

new_4.jpg

new_3.jpg

new_5.jpg

As I still had x2 of the Prism bulbs in the warning light was still on, I was going to have to wait to fit 2 of the original sidelight bulbs after work! Got home around 6pm and rushed to find my old bulbs, I quickly swapped the Prism bulbs over and went to turn the lights on................

First go with new sidelight bulbs

RESULT!!!! New bulbs work a treat, I only have x2 of them in so waiting for another pack to confirm x4 work together but I'm 99.9% sure they will (confirmation next week hopefully!).

new_6.jpg

new_7.jpg

Thought I'd update this as I know a few people will want to change their sidelights and will want some that don't bring up the dashboard error light. Have to also recommend the seller, he was helpful when I asked a question and got the bulbs in next to no time! Hope this helps guys :thumbup:

Aug 25, 2010
Did you fit them upwards or side to side I didn't no which way to put mine in when I fitted mine

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
UPDATE :

Yet another attempt at this :lol: bought these from ebay for £3.00 inc postage :

19.jpg

Auction didn't mention LED but got them and the packet says LED, uh oh! Still no point not giving them a go in the car, the bulbs are blue but they shine white.

Installed them in the outside x2 sidelights :

20.jpg

All working with the old x2 inner standard sidelight bulbs in with no warning light :

21.jpg

I then decided to try my CANBUS LED bulbs in the inner sidelights :

22.jpg

Now for the big moment, I switched on the car and the lights....... :

23.jpg

......SUCCESS! The new bulbs and the CANBUS LEDs are both working and no warning lights :funk:

They look like this is a lit underground carpark :

24.jpg

They look a tad blue in photos but they are pretty white in real life, I'm going to wait until it gets dark to get some better pictures

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
So it's CANBUS inner lights and any you want on the outside?
Look good with the slight blue hint to them, don't think plod would agree though

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
I think they look bluer because of the camera, they shine white and are "supposed" to be E-Marked and road legal.

Don't use them much just need them white to match the headlight bulbs I'll be getting :) if they do give off much of a blue tint tonight I'll probably hunt for some more lol

Last edited:

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
UPDATE :

Right, hopefully this will be the last time I have to update this one! :lol: got these bulbs through the post this morning :

25.jpg

They are Ultra 501 sidelight bulbs (£4.00 from Ebay), they are also blue in colour but shine white.

26.jpg

27.jpg

I changed the ones I bought the other day for these and went to turn them on. I was a little worried because of what happened with the last blue bulbs, didn't want to keep wasting money. I turned them on and the dash warning light DID NOT appear, I looked over at the lights and saw :

28.jpg

They looked A LOT whiter than the last set and I was happy, I turned them off, put all the parts back and set out for the multistory car park. They looked liked this in there :

29.jpg

**Note this was taken with my iPhone 4 and had the HDR feature working which makes both lights look blue**

I'm happy to report what I've seen so far that they look lovely and white :funk: I will get some pictures when it gets a bit darker.

30.jpg

31.jpg

I think I'm finally there!

anthedge

May 13, 2008
Glad the tip about CANBUS on just the inside sidelights helped.

You just need a red led strip across the front of the bonnet now...Knight Rider stylee! How cool would that be?!

God how I wanted a car like Kitt from Knight Rider when I was younger! A turbo boost button! Wow! Lol!

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Yeah was a good tip mate :)

LOL I remember the old knight rider lights, an old mate of mine had one on his Modified Orion about 10 years ago!

Would like DRLs but think they would look out of place

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members