Claybar, is it worth it?

briggy

hi guys, got a friend tht has offered to clean, claybar, seal, polish and wax my baby. says he normally charges bout 70quid for it bt will do it for me at mates rates 35 quid. just wanted to know is it worth having done?

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
yes! i never thought it would be worth claying my little car but the difference if unbelievable. The paintwork is super smooth when its finished and that is a good price to get all that work done which will take the best part of a day for a pro. (about 2 days for me being an amatuer). The best bit is that bugs, tar etc mostly wash off after you pressure wash your car and are very easy to wipe of with the sponge or wash mitt. Hope this helps.

briggy

cheers rf, i had never heard of claying until he explained it to me the other day n wasnt sure so just wanted a bit of advice as im a complete noob.
he sed it will take about 6 hrs bt im gna help him so mite nt take as long n he says he uses something which makes dodo juice look like halfords own brand so gna av t find out what tht is as i always thought dodo juice was the best u cud buy. im usin sum stuff called liquid gold at min tht goes on like custard bt makes it nice n shiny lol it made my old fiesta look like new

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
do it yourself, not hard, you can get most bits for about that (well more if good wax) and it will last you forever!

what I use:

what i used was the following

Detailing
1) polished wheels (using Brasso stuff, my god is it hard work, did all 4 lips), then using a wheel cleaner (or some fairy + spray bottle, try and get a good one that will foam up, from elitecarcleaning/cleanyourcar) then using a wheel brush got into all the hard to get places, then rinse
2) spray car with water (I use a pressure washer, helps get the dirt off) cleaning inner arches etc
3) using the 2 bucket method (1 filled with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo + warm-ish water, 1 filled with just water) using a hand mitt work your way around the car, everytime you want to get more shampoo put it into the bucket with just water and get rud of the dirt and rinse in this bucket, then get more shampoo
I always split the car into 4 (Left, Right, Rear and front, and I split the roof with the Left/Right, and rinse after each section with pressure washer)
4) keep the car wet, and using a clay (Bilt Hammer is excellent, as you can use water as a lube, so saves you using a detailer spray, so saves money :)) make sure the panel being clayed is lube'd up well, or can cause damage
5) rinse with pressure washer (if you want to, not necessary)
6) using 2 micro fibre's, dry the whole car (1 in each hand, keep wringing out the water), (also get 1 the microfibres and dry all the openings, so open the boot and dry all the water, the door gaps, this stops water dripping when you are going to wax the car)
then using another microfibre, dry the wheels too
7) polish the car (I use Autoglym Super Resin Polish, but will hopefully get a rotary polish and Zaino stuff soon), work in circles, then in straight lines every few strokes to make sure it is even, then buff off with a microfibre cloth
8) you can use a sealant, but not necessary
9) use a wax, i use Autoglym HD Wax (amazing stuff for the price), wax the whole car, then buff off, can do more than 1 layer, I did 2, before winter I will do 3 over that period :)
10) using a cloth and Tesco's Ground Nut Oil I put onto all the plastic trims (then buff off)
11) put sealant on wheels, and tyre dressing

then stand back and faint from exhaustion :p

Maintaining
the car will not need polishing/waxing for the next 2-3months, so just wash car or using a detailing spray every week keep it clean
so step 1) can be done again (but not using fairy, as it will strip the sealant, using the car shampoo)

then you just do 2), 3) and 6) and it will look awesome :D

hope it helps people :p

PS, this is how it can look

4935735652_c24e21f0d0_b.jpg

4935186709_4422b70138_b.jpg

4935180171_fafd863a77_b.jpg

(that is driving from birmingham to london (ace cafe for a dub meet) then back, in rain) still looks clean (can see the dirt on the 3rd pic on the lower door etc)

and here is the water beading

4984262424_68f37074b6_b.jpg

4983661583_9bf7529875_b.jpg

Last edited:

briggy

Decided i am getting it done. It is booked in for next sunday so wil get sum piccys posted when its done. Im gonna help him do it so in future i mite have the confidence to attempt it myself. Thanks for the advice guys

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
DO not spend £35 for someone to clay your car.

Buy your own clay for £8 or so...You can make a lub solution yourself quite easily or use quick detailer if you have it. It is not a difficult task...in fact go on youtube and type in "Claying", you will see how simple it is.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
DO not spend £35 for someone to clay your car.

Buy your own clay for £8 or so...You can make a lub solution yourself quite easily or use quick detailer if you have it. It is not a difficult task...in fact go on youtube and type in "Claying", you will see how simple it is.

he is not just claying though, he is doing polishing, waxing and sealing as well plus if it shows him how to use the products then whats the harm? Most mobile valeters take about £25 alone to just wash outside and clean inside!

Wire_Gal

Sep 20, 2010
Warrington, cheshire
Its amazing the amount of filth that comes off with the clay! I love it.

Although I would never let anyone touch my car, let alone clean it; £35 isnt a bad price really, plus you can watch them do it so you can get a good cleaning routine going :) (if you dont already of course)

@Suj - Excellent guide on detailing, though I wish my cleaning products only cost me £35 ;) ;) lol

do it yourself, not hard, you can get most bits for about that (well more if good wax) and it will last you forever!

what I use:

PS, this is how it can look

4935735652_c24e21f0d0_b.jpg

4935186709_4422b70138_b.jpg

4935180171_fafd863a77_b.jpg

(that is driving from birmingham to london (ace cafe for a dub meet) then back, in rain) still looks clean (can see the dirt on the 3rd pic on the lower door etc)

and here is the water beading

4984262424_68f37074b6_b.jpg

4983661583_9bf7529875_b.jpg

Wish I had a car-port!And I hope you finished with some tyre gel! :whistle:

briggy

Im gonna pay t av it done bt im gna help so i can pick it up and eventually do it myself when im confident im not gna make a complete mess of it

briggy

i wil try to wire gal. u wudnt happen to be a warrington wolves fan wud u??

briggy

im a leeds fan lol. u guys were the better team at wembley by a country mile n been t warrington a few times, old and new stadiums

Wire_Gal

Sep 20, 2010
Warrington, cheshire
Aw its a shame your team didnt show up for most of it ;) Only joking, it was a good game though. Not often Warrington beat leads. I have been up your end many times and been disappointed!! I preferred the atmosphere at Wilderspool but the HJ isnt so bad... Anyway.. have you got your motor cleaned yet??

briggy

Nah booked in for nxt sunday providing the weather holds off. I prefer the HJ tbh its a nice little stadium

Subc

May 12, 2008
Scotland
Try this wash your car when still wet rub your finger tips along the paint you will probably feel a lot of rough areas,get some clay I reccomend Bilt Hamber soft, lubes with water a rub it gently over each panel and feel and see the difference.

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
Try this wash your car when still wet rub your finger tips along the paint you will probably feel a lot of rough areas,get some clay I reccomend Bilt Hamber soft, lubes with water a rub it gently over each panel and feel and see the difference.

i did my birds mums land rover the other week and did the before and after feel test and she nearly fainted!

the difference is amazing :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.