Slow speed fan problem - Guide to fixing

Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
Then you will have no AC working, you will probably see the centre of the AC compressor start turning and then stop.

If both fans are not working then it could be the 3rd fuse from the left on top of the battery. Check the terminals.

I managed to get both of my fans working. The larger fan was not working but I took it apart and have cleaned it out so all is good there. Now I am just trying to figure out why the AC is not getting cold. Potentially the compressor.

Last edited:

Roach

Sep 30, 2012
If it helps anyone out I have 4 pairs of these resistors.

913A413D-D195-4544-A850-E2944308A260-21939-0000152280AC4B74.jpg

Send me a pm if you'd like a pair...... Cheaper than Farnell. ;)

Crhome

Dec 18, 2012
Nottingham
So guys, can anyone who done this mod confirm that their fast speed is working as well as slow speed? Before I have done this mod only fast speed was pulsating. Mod cured my slow speed probkem but since then my fast speed never kicks in. Why would't fast speed not work but slow works? Any ideas?

Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
Apparently it takes quite a lot of heat to get the high speed fan to come on so you will probably never hear it unless you are going 100mph on the motorway and then stop in traffic on a very hot summers day!

You can test both speeds by removing the three pin triangular plug in the radiator (the thermostatic switch) and bridge pins to manually run the low and high speeds.

Also check the fuse above the battery. I believe it is the third on from the left and should be a 40 amp fuse.

Roach

Sep 30, 2012
I did the mod, fans still don't work when I turn the AC on, fuse on top of battery is fine.

There is an audible change in the engine note when I switch on the AC, but I think it needs a regas anyhow as it doesn't blow cold....... I give up.

Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
In the centre of the the compressor is the clutch for the compressor. When you turn on your AC it should start spinning and when you turn off the AC is should stop.

If you turn on the AC and it spins then watch it for a while to see if it stops. If it does then it usually means there is a problem such as low pressure or high pressure.

Like I said before you can bridge pins in the connector to manually engage the fans in both low and high speeds to test them. This will then eliminate the fans as a problem and will start to narrow down the issue.

Roach

Sep 30, 2012
It's not been regassed for a long time I don't think. Maybe I'll try that.

Unfortunately my climate screen is pixelated beyond belief so I can only just make out the temp setting.

Mikey_Bling

Apr 25, 2013
Notts
I have three more pairs of resistors left if anyone wants some.;)

I'll have a pair Roach! Tested mine today and the slow speed's dead. Fast comes on fine though.

Just out of curiosity, where has everyone got their cable from? Am I looking for 10amp single core?

Roach

Sep 30, 2012
I'll have a pair Roach! Tested mine today and the slow speed's dead. Fast comes on fine though.

Just out of curiosity, where has everyone got their cable from? Am I looking for 10amp single core?

Pm'd dude!

Ellis jack

Great thread, realised I need to do this, high speed fuse has blown yesterday in the heatwave, so no fans working. As an aircraft electrician a splice to me is a cut and splice two wires together, how do you mean that the red/black cable is spliced if it isn't cut? If you don't cut it, it must have to be stripped and soldered together? Correct me if I'm wrong?

xDaNx

Great thread, realised I need to do this, high speed fuse has blown yesterday in the heatwave, so no fans working. As an aircraft electrician a splice to me is a cut and splice two wires together, how do you mean that the red/black cable is spliced if it isn't cut? If you don't cut it, it must have to be stripped and soldered together? Correct me if I'm wrong?
You just strip the plastic off the black/red wire and join one end of the resistor onto it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members