No ignition lights, car turns over but wont start...

Nick Nick

Ibiza Veteran, Leon Virgin
Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Hi all,

My beeza mk2 died last night at a petrol station - was fine, filled up, went to start, but car just turns over - no ignition lights. Called the AA who managed to take out Fuses 21 and 16, and then wire the bottom of 21 to the top of 16 (forced power to instrument panel fuse from central locking fuse) which at least got me home. I am now trying to work out what on earth has gone wrong.. I've changed most of the relays with ones from a working donor car, but none have made any difference. With both fuse 16 and 21 back in place, I get power to lights, fans, brake lights, windows, radio, starter motor, pretty much everything except instrument panel (although the green light does come on when the lights are switched on) but the darn thing wont start. Im going mad thinking what the problem could be... The fuel relay doesnt click either like it normally does when turning the key to ignition on. With the fuses jerry rigged, i get nice normal sounds of fuel pumps whirring etc.

Any suggestions would be really helpful cos im struggling a bit...

Ta!
Nick

Nick Nick

Ibiza Veteran, Leon Virgin
Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Update: - I dont have power to the stereo, or to the electric windows when both fuses are back in place. Someone has just suggested the ignition switch, but the fan/lights come on when the ignition is turned, and then the starter motor kicks in as normal when attempting to start...

Puzzling.... Help!

Nick