Key mod

br.adam

Jul 8, 2016
My previous keys had the silver cap on & tbh I never really took much notice of them. On collection day for my Cupra 290 I immediately noticed how bland the keys looked. Think I'll be doing the mod sooner rather than later.

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
Thanks for the guide Nganasan, I have purchased a chrome cap from eBay along with the silicon case that Kevster184 opted for.

Slipped the case on which makes the fob a tad more tactile but the cap will have to wait, as just realised that my screwdriver set doesn't have a T6 :doh:

knappers

Mar 10, 2017
Only picked up the new Leon last night, but my chrome caps arrived this morning.
First mod complete.
Rubber cover on order...
Thanks Nganasan.
Si.

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
I've purchased a new screwdriver set from ScrewFix and installed the chrome end cap, which definitely makes the fob look and feel much more nicer.

However the silicone cover is a lint magnet, so I'm thinking of getting one of the official SEAT covers that I saw in the accessories brochure... perhaps the plain black monogrammed one... although having to glue it over the battery hatch seems like a bit of a daft design flaw :blink:

Steelywhisper

Jul 28, 2016
Ireland
Its not glued on its held on with 3m tape but it is quite sticky not sure how easy it would be to remove if you got bored of it, I have the white Cupra cover fitted to mine and it makes it feel like a completely different key

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
All done.

First eBay cover was a no show so currently in dispute, but the next seller was on time

UJx6PTI.jpg

Looks a bit nicer. Not sure if I should add some glue to the silicone, will see how it lasts with the big opening for the key

MGH74

Dec 17, 2017
Pair of chrome caps ordered for £8 on eBay and a silicone cover ordered, hopefully smarten it up. A little.
Need to organise a new spare now.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
All done.

First eBay cover was a no show so currently in dispute, but the next seller was on time

UJx6PTI.jpg

Looks a bit nicer. Not sure if I should add some glue to the silicone, will see how it lasts with the big opening for the key

Mine is two and a half years and I find it has only just shown signs of the white rubbing off. :D
Otherwise like new. Gets a bit of dust in, just depends where you keep your keys.

Last edited:

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Just done this. Both the old and new screw were T7 not T6 torx bits. Probably why people keep rounding off the heads putting the screw in.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members