Steering Wheel Removal 6J (Need Help)

domasn

May 2, 2016
Hi guys new member here,

I want to change my steering wheel from my current one to the leather one I ordered recently, I was wondering if you guys have any clue how to do it? I looked online couldn't find anything useful for the ibiza sc, I insist on doing myself as getting a shop to do it would cost 100+ which I don't have.If you guys could help me it would greatly appreciated.:D:help:

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
DISCONNECT the battery first and wait a bit, this will give the systems time to shut off properly.

I believe there are 2 tabs on the back of the wheel, 3 and 9 oclock. You will need to rotate the wheel 45 degrees each way to get them, once both are popped, it will come out but watch the wires as these will need to be unplugged too.

Rough Idea: Vid

Last edited:

Paullem90

Dec 30, 2016
Wolverhampton, west midlands
Ive successful replaced the old Mk5 steering wheel with a FR Mk5 one. However the horn wont work on my new steering wheel, but when putting the old steering wheel back on it works. Any ideas how i can get the horn to work with the FR steering wheel?

ceb

May 27, 2012
Lebanon
Quick question - does it work if you replace your old airbag with an empty FR/Bocanegra wheel?
Moving the airbag from your old steering wheel to a new one.

Thanks

ceb

May 27, 2012
Lebanon

I'm confused. Are your keeping your old airbag and replacing the wheel ?

Correct.
The wheel I found on ebay (bocanegra wheel) doesn’t come with an airbag.
So I’d like to keep the one I have. Was wondering if it works.
Cheers.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Can you put a pic of both.

I think they are compatible.

I put a 2014 steering st my 2008 ibiza.

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
If i remember correctly, you can bolt them on fine but you need to swap the internal electronic piece in the wheel to your old one as they have changed the buttons around.

You cannot swap the airbag between wheels when going from a curved bottom to a flat bottom wheel either I think. You need to get the correct airbag for the wheel

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Did you had problems changing?
I'm almost sure the airbag is the same for cupra and non cupra.
At least for the FR and standard it is.

Last edited:

MIH11MI6

Nov 28, 2017
Norwich/ Crewe
Hi Guys,

I don't know if you managed to sort this out.

I changed mine a few months ago, put a 2013 FR Flat bottom on a 2011 CR Eco with the old airbag with no issues. Old Airbag, new wheel, horn works fine too.

Hope this helps at all

Regards

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Ive successful replaced the old Mk5 steering wheel with a FR Mk5 one. However the horn wont work on my new steering wheel, but when putting the old steering wheel back on it works. Any ideas how i can get the horn to work with the FR steering wheel?

yes

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=438325

Hi Guys,

I don't know if you managed to sort this out.

I changed mine a few months ago, put a 2013 FR Flat bottom on a 2011 CR Eco with the old airbag with no issues. Old Airbag, new wheel, horn works fine too.

Hope this helps at all

Regards

there are only incompatiblities with the horn on cars from 2008 /2009 to cars after that... and it can be solved

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=438325

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members