Anybody had the EA189 fix applied

Tom_Tav

Sep 23, 2016
Hi All,

Just had the letter come through to book my 1.6tdi in for its emissions scandal fix, from what I've read online it's a software flash and a filter/mesh in front of the MAF sensor.

Any body had it fitted yet and did you notice any difference in performance/economy?

Can't help but think it's too good to be true and I'm about to have my car reduced in power?!

Tom.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
Got it back and tbh didn't notice anything. Did a few runs with torque running and identical figures before and after.

We shall see the long term effects but so far just seems pointless.

Tom_Tav

Sep 23, 2016
Got it back and tbh didn't notice anything. Did a few runs with torque running and identical figures before and after.

We shall see the long term effects but so far just seems pointless.
Sounds about right, didn't see it changing much! Nice to know it doesn't take power away

JamieLittwin

0-60 In Sparrows Cough
Mar 2, 2015
Hi All,

Just had the letter come through to book my 1.6tdi in for its emissions scandal fix, from what I've read online it's a software flash and a filter/mesh in front of the MAF sensor.

Any body had it fitted yet and did you notice any difference in performance/economy?

Can't help but think it's too good to be true and I'm about to have my car reduced in power?!

Tom.

I was actually advised against having the software update as it causes some parts to fail early (VW will replace these regardless if outside warranty). Their words were "more hassle than it's worth"

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
I was actually advised against having the software update as it causes some parts to fail early (VW will replace these regardless if outside warranty). Their words were "more hassle than it's worth"
This I have heard also, a document was posted from vw to dealerships advising this a while ago. To replace any emissions related part should it fail within 2 years of having he fix applied more or less (not exactly that but close).

An update on my car, had it done at Christmas 2016. Didn't notice anything at first except it was a little louder at idle (no rpm change however). To date I have had no issues, not once have I had an error, light or issue with the car.

I have monitored the dpf load before and after and have noticed no change in the rate it fills up before regeneration. However, I have noticed the car will no longer passively regenerate. It will always fill up and actively regenerate, even when on very long runs, unlike before.

I was concerned and put this to the test and can repeat it every time. But, I noticed something odd, the car will regenerate actively around town successfully, something it has never done before. So long as the engine is warm, and you don't switch the engine on and off (short trips to the shops etc), but drive it more like a taxi, it seems to work.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is this normal and I am just noticing this now??

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

CTL666

Oct 21, 2016
I refused it. I took my car in for a service and even though I'd said on booking I didn't want it done, they had put me down for it. I did say I would consider it if they would put in writing that would give a warranty for any problems arising directly or indirectly from the update, but you guessed it, it was a firm 'No'! Anyway, the lady went on their system to mark me as having refused the update, so I wouldn't receive any further reminders. She did say that there had been some issues with some cars that had underlying problems, so now they run a diagnostic routine before proceeding with the update.

Tom_Tav

Sep 23, 2016
I refused it. I took my car in for a service and even though I'd said on booking I didn't want it done, they had put me down for it. I did say I would consider it if they would put in writing that would give a warranty for any problems arising directly or indirectly from the update, but you guessed it, it was a firm 'No'! Anyway, the lady went on their system to mark me as having refused the update, so I wouldn't receive any further reminders. She did say that there had been some issues with some cars that had underlying problems, so now they run a diagnostic routine before proceeding with the update.
Oddly enough I received a letter from seat guaranteeing to replace under warranty any issues/problems on systems that may have been affected by the update (think it said fuelling and exhaust systems, I'll check the letter later) for 2 years after it was fitted.

Makes me think they're either getting alot of issues or they think nothing will go wrong

CTL666

Oct 21, 2016
That's interesting. I just rely on my car so much that I don't want to take any risks. But I may have been tempted if I'd received a letter like you.

Tom_Tav

Sep 23, 2016
That's interesting. I just rely on my car so much that I don't want to take any risks. But I may have been tempted if I'd received a letter like you.
Egr, fuel system and emissions treatment all covered supposedly
c2e551bf23e5df2d56f8c6c5d5b6f877.jpg

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
I registered just to reply to this.

The "fix" has completely wrecked my car. It's knocking itself into DPF Regen every 80 - 90 miles and while it's in DPF it's shaking like mad, as well as bouncing from 800 - 1200 rpm constantly at idle. MPG is also down.

I have the car booked in with SEAT on Monday but I am getting increasingly frustrated with this as I need the car to be working perfectly for work.

AVOID if possible.

PS: Needless to say, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the car prior to getting the emissions done.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Yes there are many reports the update causing problems. (EGR, worse MPG, inconstant idle, etc... etc...)
Here in Portugal SEAT doesn't assume the problems if it is out of garanty, even knowing that it is caused by the update.
Also here it doesn't pass our MOT if the update is not done.

Last edited:

CTL666

Oct 21, 2016
Thanks for registering and letting us know about your problem. I did look into whether the update had to be done for the MOT, but so far the only suggestion of any incentive to have it done is MY conscience over emissions! Unbelievable really that the manufacturer is trying to make the unwitting consumer feel guilty over the whole sham. I've also tried to find out how the general resale value is affected by having/not having it done, but I've not an answer either way yet.

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
I wish I'd looked into it before getting it done to be honest. The letters that I received (which I ignored for a year) got progressively more threatening, then I had the SEAT dealership locally on at me to get this done via telephone so I felt like I had no other choice.

Complete and utter disgrace to be honest - I've already had the car in once to them and they could find no fault. Yet if they'd even bothered to put the car into DPF mode they'd have found the fault right and quick. I'm tied into a finance deal for the forseeable, but once this is done I'll not be going near a VW again. Joke.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Thanks for registering and letting us know about your problem. I did look into whether the update had to be done for the MOT, but so far the only suggestion of any incentive to have it done is MY conscience over emissions! Unbelievable really that the manufacturer is trying to make the unwitting consumer feel guilty over the whole sham. I've also tried to find out how the general resale value is affected by having/not having it done, but I've not an answer either way yet.

Car that have had the update done will be worth less money, or those without will demand a premium.

As more stories emerge of real-world experience it will become general knowledge that the update hobbles cars and causes lots of problems.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.