I bought a VERY high mileage LCR.

Boosted

Hi all, this is my first post here on the SeatCupra.Net forums, I have looked around and found that not many (if any) existing threads cover the information I'm looking for. So I hope this thread won't nullify itself as soon as I publish this.

I've recently picked up a 2004 Leon Cupra R with a whopping 203,500 Miles.

The reason the mileage didn't instantly turn me away was because of the absolutely immaculate service history. This car has had 1 Owner from new & been serviced regularly at SEAT for the first 7 years, and then moving on to a garage for the remaining 6 years of it's ownership. It is due a Cambelt & Water Pump, as well as a general check over just to make sure everything is still running as it should.

I'm asking on here if anyone knows how sturdy these BAM engines are? Will it be capable of withstanding another few years of abuse, of course with proper maintenance & servicing? As much as I do love this car (I upgraded from a 1.6 MK2 Clio) I do get quite paranoid about the fact that this car has almost covered as many miles as it takes to reach the Moon, literally.

I appreciate any advice & tips given, and of course if this is in the wrong section then please go ahead & move it to the corresponding area.

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
It seems that the petrol is more robust than the diesel. The only real issue is oil pickup pipe which if it's going to clog seems to do so around 100000 miles. I'm sure someone posted a while back with 265,000 miles on a petrol so you should be fine.

Boosted

It seems that the petrol is more robust than the diesel. The only real issue is oil pickup pipe which if it's going to clog seems to do so around 100000 miles. I'm sure someone posted a while back with 265,000 miles on a petrol so you should be fine.

Thanks for the response sockpuppet. Good to know I don't own the highest mileage Cupra R around, haha! I am looking to get the oil pickup pipe sorted as I have heard from many that it is a common issue with these motors.

I'll see how I get on :)

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Welcome to the forum and i agree with sockpuppet. If it's been well maintained, then no reason to worry imo.

Last edited:

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Possibly the oldest subscriber to your youtube channel............Hopefully I will be in the market again for an LCR soon, but will only be able to afford one with some mileson it , if good service history and it maintained then shouldn't be any issue's.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
These days 200k is almost expected for a car so long as it is looked after.

Last summer I replaced the head gasket on my Leon 1.9 tdi and the piston crowns and linings were immaculate with 160k mileage.

But if you want confidence then just look up the 1966 Volvo that has recently passed 3 million miles!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi, wow! impressive. I thought my Cupra was high at 153 I'll be interested in how it holds up. You must have a pile of paperwork with that!

Sent from me!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.