turbo lag at low revs

mandrake1

Jun 5, 2017
hi ,ive a problem when pulling away ,basically no power up to about 2000 revs then the turbo kicks in and its off like a rocket . its a 2002 115 pd tdi Alhambra 160 k on it . ive disconnected the maf and it runs slightly worse power wise ,also disconnected what i assume is a turbo boost sensor on the turbo pipe top of the engine bay again slightly worse power wise . been underneath and checked the actuator arm on the turbo and i have full free movement ,that i can see .there are two sensors on the bulk head ,ive disconnected the feed from the l/hand one looking from the front and i can feel a drop in power over the rev range ie worse performance ,but the r/hand side when disconnected from the feed there is no noticeable difference in the power , i do hear a slight hissing from somewhere but ive checked as well as i am able the vac pipes and all seems well . has anybody any idea if the l/hand side sensor is the egr one and the r/hand side is for the turbo boost please and the designated number/type of sensor ,they both look the same . i havent rigged the car to a obd reader as i dont have one . hope someone can shead some light on the matter ,thanks again . on checking i belive its an n75 boost controller

Last edited:

jifl

Jun 8, 2017
I haven't had this with my much-more-recent Alhambra, but on a previous Toyota diesel I had exactly this sort of behaviour when the EGR valve was clogged. Also, if I revved it higher, the exhaust was quite smoky. Have you seen that?

Anyway, pop something like Wynn's EGR valve cleaner in - you can get it from Halfords. No harm in trying, other than £12 :D

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Had same symptoms with a Fiat JTD, Replaced MAF, cleaned EGR, chucked STP in the tank - all sorts.

Nothing fixed it permanently.

18 months later, stopped filling it with TESCO diesel and the sod ran perfectly on BP instead...

Last edited:

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Hi
Having same issue with mine really but when I scanned it it came back mad sensor so gonna replace that Monday
When mines cold driving it immediately feels like it's driving through mud... dead as a door nail
Ak

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members