Trouble after remap

marinipersonal

Jan 1, 2017
Off topic but why would anyone want to remap a 1.6 ecomotive? The power gains would be significant and if you're really after extra oomph, go for a Fr or cupra.
Sorry if this sounds condescending but it really baffles me when people remap cars that are tailored towards economy and not performance.

Agree.
Before the 1.8TSI, I had for a month or a bit longer than that a transition car, a Golf MK7 1.6 TDI. Performance was well acceptable and consume was fantastic. But I don't really like diesel, nothing to do with the 1.6, and my driving doesn't voucher for a diesel, anyway. Was just doing some changes as I was downsizing from a Sportage (2.0 diesel).
Consume isn't a deal breaker as I only cover 10k/12k a year and would take too long to offset the premium price of the diesel. I don't keep cars for too long, but if it was the case, considering the cost of maintenance, all the modern diesels to achieve the levels imposed by the EU, are too complex and expensive. Best bet for a diesel is if you're covering over 20k miles a year and no too many cold starts. And obviously, the whole system after few years will need replacement, even if your driving favors the diesel, time to avoid the costs and change the car. The economy is the first 3/4 years before the bills start. The whole point of the FR 184 is the great performance allied to good consume, as it allow drivers who cover big mileages to have a fast car and still achieving good consume. Just see how many GTDs are around for each GTI.
For a better response of your 1.6TDI, I would suggest premium diesel. And instead a remap, a tuning box, as if it didn't give you the expected performance, you can use in your next car (assuming it's compatible), or offset the cost and sell it, but them I would suggest simply going for a 2.0 TDI.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Quantum being so big and market leader...funny that i have not ever heard of them.
I would say that this is some company who buys the maps and sell them forward.

I think there is only a few companies who really does their own maps...R&D is not cheap.
I have heard that Celtic Tuning for example does not make all of their maps, just re selling most.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Quantum being so big and market leader...funny that i have not ever heard of them.
I would say that this is some company who buys the maps and sell them forward.

I think there is only a few companies who really does their own maps...R&D is not cheap.
I have heard that Celtic Tuning for example does not make all of their maps, just re selling most.

Exactly

m4nny

Sep 30, 2017
UK
I have one of these. Good package. Good drive. Yes no tax and OK on fuel not as claimed though. Get 55 MPG on the motorway, so a bit crap compared to the 84 is supposed to do. A map would increase economy. Extra power would allow to shift up gears earlier, which is probably my pet hate, as currently you can't overtake in higher gears safely.

This is probably also down to Seat recalling this model and detuning it during their scandal. Also a bit more torque would solve the above issues. And allow me to Cruze at 50mph in 5th which I can't do currently. It's a very fun car in the first 3 gears and surprising amount of 250NM from 1.6, just a tiny bit more would make it excellent little hatchback.

I understand your thinking, hope the above helps understand my thinking. Most of the above can be solved by staying 1 lower gear, however the fuel takes a hit and then I question what's the point of it being an eco, if it can't return good mpg.

Manny

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.